Paph rothschildianum 'JAR'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful as the plant is heavily potassium deficient... The leaf tips collapsing are a sure sign. It can eventually eat a few leaves when or after fully blooming.

Be careful as the plant is heavily potassium deficient... The leaf tips collapsing are a sure sign. It can eventually eat a few leaves when or after fully blooming.
I do use potassium in the form of KSi and haven't really had a leaf tip issue with any of the other paphs. Hopefully this plant will reset in its new home. I have another half a dozen roths with missing leaf tips before receiving them as well. Hopefully they will also reset.
I'm more concerned about the multies coming out of Hawaii with some kind of lower leaf disease requiring removal of half or all the affected leaves. Fingers crossed it doesn't come back.

I do know the parents. I was hoping Xavier would tell us without knowing up front.
'New Horizon ' x 'Raptor '
5.5cm & 27cm.

The color is more green then yellow but its difficult to capture with a cell phone.

Outstanding stance and presentation. Nice to see some good ones from this cross finally blooming out!

Potassium has to be supplemented when the growth is forming, that's the problem... A rothschildianum spike will deplete a lot of potassium from the growth.

As for the parentage, out of it, we see it has Mt Millais in the ancestry actually, that's the dorsal to expect on its progeny, as well as the synsepalum.

So far New Horizon x Raptor as parents does match...

For the potassium, yes that's the problem with plants from Hawaii, I saw that posted a lot of time around on Facebook. The problem, you can barely reload potassium when it is too late, but you can keep the plant from decaying.

Sometimes it is so agressive that the cells completely leak, and it looks like a kind of bacterial rot. Most of the time, the leaves become yellow, then orange/brown quite quickly, from the bottom. It looks like a disease but it is absolutely not.

Another symptom is that plants tend to bloom on single growths without new start. then they take years to restart.

I suspect they use a heavy urea feed to push the plants, the same as some Taiwanese nurseries. This explains too the very large leafspan vs. root system commonly seen...

He says he fertilizes his plants with potassium and other paphs look fine. Yet, you keep saying it is a potassium deficiency. Why?
You say it looks like a disease, but it is not, so how do you know that just by looking at a photo?

Wouldn't it be more logical to conclude that it is indeed a disease symptom as the grower says since he fertilizes his plants and they all look fine except for this one?
Also, regarding the overgeneralization on plants from Hawai'i, I for one had not had issues with leaves mainly because I bought online where I could see the pictures of what I'm getting, or I bought on site in person.
Just like any other commercial nurseries, those in Hawai'i regularly fertilize their plants. So why would they have particular deficiency issues any more than others?

Lastly, I barely fertilize my plants once a month. I don't have roth, but my roth x anitum bloomed on a huge plant with a new growth about half the size of the blooming fan and a pot full of roots. Not a single nasty spot or mark on the leaves anywhere.
So, I find your claims rather strange.

I need to add clarity here. My current fertilizer schedule has been in place for about 3 years now. This roth and quite a few others came to me starting the first of April as part of Sam's liquidation. Only the roths I received had leaf tip cuts. Maybe 4-5 of the 6 plants. None of the other species or hybrids had any tip issues. I must say all the plants from multiple shipments came to me dark green, especially the supardii(s). None of the OI plants ever developed narcotic spots on the lower leaves.
A Hawaii firm was offering a special about the same time I bought the OI plants, roths, their choice for 30 bucks in lots of 6 along with lowii albums. About a week after receiving the Hawaii order narcotic, dry spots started showing up on the leaves and the leaves would quickly change to yellow on the roths only. To me it is a disease of either microorganisms or a deficiency. Since removing the leaves it hasn't shown back up. So I'm thinking its not microbial.

Last edited:
I have had consistent issues with blooming multiflorals from Hawaii losing leaves on the blooming growth, sometimes the whole growth is consumed one leaf after another. Symptoms are exactly as described, an overall tellowing followed by rapid browning and loss leaf by leaf from the bottom up. I've managed to salvage all but a couple affected plants but it takes them several years to pick up momentum again and bloom.

Here is a WBW that completely collapsed, it managed to start a new growth before the old completely died but it's still struggling now after three years. If it didn't have such a nice flower I'd have tossed it long ago.

20200421_132650.jpg

Some more Hawaiian plants from the same time period, you can see the yellowing on the two Hilo Black Eagles and both did eventually lose the flowering growth but had stronger new growths so they didn't crash as hard. The darker one rebloomed for the first time this year with three flowers, it's growing well but still not quite at the size it was. The other hasn't rebloomed yet but has put on decent growth.

20200416_135128.jpg

I need to add clarity here. My current fertilizer schedule has been in place for about 3 years now. This roth and quite a few others came to me starting the first of April as part of Sam's liquidation. Only the roths I received had leaf tip cuts. Maybe 4-5 of the 6 plants. None of the other species or hybrids had any tip issues. I must say all the plants from multiple shipments came to me dark green, especially the supardii(s). None of the OI plants ever developed narcotic spots on the lower leaves.
A Hawaii firm was offering a special about the same time I bought the OI plants, roths, their choice for 30 bucks in lots of 6 along with lowii albums. About a week after receiving the Hawaii order narcotic, dry spots started showing up on the leaves and the leaves would quickly change to yellow on the roths only. To me it is a disease of either microorganisms or a deficiency. Since removing the leaves it hasn't shown back up. So I'm thinking its not microbial.
Maybe there was a reason for the special deal other than having to make space. There's reason why things get sold cheap. At least that's what I would assume and I have seen it done. When mutual understanding is there, I don't see the problem in this kind of transaction but I personally prefer to start with squeaky "clean" plants as much as possible.
I hope your plants do well under your care.

Tony- I don't believe it is a deficiency for the reason I already gave. Not saying I'm right, just throwing the logic.
The commercial nurseries typically go quite heavy on the feeding. Ok, then, let's say it is a deficiency. Then, under your care with careful and regular fertilizing regime, things should have turned around but you say the plants still have issues.
Logically, the newly developed portion under your care should look problem free. Right?

Back