Paph rothschildianum - Janet FCC/AOS x Western Springs AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the previous posters, this has a different style than the other roths we usually get to see. Where did "Western Springs" come from? These days one has to look close to find a roth that hasn't got MM in its makeup. Yours has become a very nice roth. Good culture, too.

I agree ...as great as all the MM lineage plants are ,the old style roths are still my fave

I must admit, I like those dorsals a lot. Very jealous of you managing to flower roths (I think I might manage to kill all of mine). Good growing! :D

I really like the strong yellow background, or at least more yellow than many modern roths. Very nice. This style roth needs to be kept in the hobby. A nice counterpoint to the more white colored background Mount Milais decendants.

Congratulation for your culture ! The plant is incredible :clap::clap:. COuld you share your "fertilizer program" and what water you use ?

Congratulation for your culture ! The plant is incredible :clap::clap:. COuld you share your "fertilizer program" and what water you use ?

I just use normal tap water. Canberra's water is pretty low in TDS so it seems fine to use as is.

Rothschildianum and its hybrids require in particular significant levels of Mg to do well. Rick and others have told me that rothschildianum is found naturally in a substrate containing high levels of Mg. For many years my plants weren't doing that well with some not growing at all. When I moved over to a fertiliser containing a high level of Mg, my plants suddenly took off. Roths that had never grown doubled in size within a year.

The fertilisers I use are MAGAMP and Trio (CMB) Foliar. The MAGAMP fertiliser is a slow release fertiliser that simply attaches to my hose. So basically every time I water I attach the MAGAMP and it fertilises and waters at the same time. Too easy. MAGAMP contains high levels of Mg which works well with the roths. On the downside it has high levels pf P although I can't say I have noticed a problem because of this.

MAGAMP doesn't have any Ca so I also regularly use Trio (CMB) Foliar which contains 16.8% Ca. It also has high N and Mg and little K. I regularly apply Trio (CMB) Foliar as a foliar fertiliser but also apply it to the potting mix every third application.

MAGAMP

http://www.jpr.net.au/pdf/Magamp & Easy Feeder JPR May10.pdf

Trio (CMB) Foliar

http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/downlo...eets/Liquid Fertilisers/Trio (CMB) Foliar.pdf

From my experience multiflorals don't show their true potential until
they are large multiple growth plants.

I like the stance of the flowers and the twist at the end of the petals. A judge
would probably take points off for this but I think it give the flowers a bit of character.

Latest posts

Back