Paph rothschildianum 'Best of 2015'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
This is a select plant from Orchid Inn I bought several years ago. First time blooming for me. The plant was set back a little but is growing really strong now. Cross is 'Yellow Tiger' x 'Scorpion King'.

Original measurements were 30 cm NS, and this blooming was just shy of that. DW 6.0.

Only two flowers, but all my roths had lower flower count this year, I think because they were repotted last fall.

Last edited:
Justin, these are great flowers even if their are only two this time. But I'm wondering about the yellow leaves....is it just the photo, did they get too much light or is their anything else.

Also, to clarify, I do like the leaves a little greener (green/gold is the best in my experience). The leaf tip you see was right under the LED and got a little too much light.

This is a select plant from Orchid Inn I bought several years ago. First time blooming for me. The plant was set back a little but is growing really strong now. Cross is 'Yellow Tiger' x 'Scorpion King'.

Original measurements were 30 cm NS, and this blooming was just shy of that. DW 6.0.

Only two flowers, but all my roths had lower flower count this year, I think because they were repotted last fall.

Very nice! Great you were able to get blooms with a Fall repotting. Any tips on what / when you do to optimize Roths reestablishing after repotting?

RE: “yellow leaves:” it’s my understanding that P. rothschildianum leaves should be a chartreuse-golden color, that it’s a high-light plant that likes to “bleach” the foliage.

Very nice! Great you were able to get blooms with a Fall repotting. Any tips on what / when you do to optimize Roths reestablishing after repotting?

I use Orchiata (power size, mixed with some #3 chunk perlite and charcoal) It's important to water frequently at first, since Orchiata bark is hard and doesn't absorb a lot of moisture out of the bag. (Some growers avoid this by pre-soaking the bark, but I think the main effect of this would be to wash out the lime and other amendments so I don't pre-soak). With this mix they can easily go three years without the bark breaking down.

Mature roths like warm, bright, and humid, with lots of water and food. (I have found to not feed seedlings out of flask, though). They are my favorite species to grow, but it is a compromise for me because I don't have a greenhouse and grow indoors under lights. So for me they take a long time to bloom from flask, and flowers are not as big with lower flower count than greenhouse growers can get.

I have been growing them for about 20 years, and over that time bought a lot of seedlings, divisions, and flasks. All of my stock is now blooming frequently.

Great petal stance, excited to see what it can do in the future!

Great flowers!!
I was assuming that leaf was getting sort of burned, hence yellow.
I have seen lots of roth in bloom (I'm sure you have as well) and the leaves were all green. Definitely not golden color.

Latest posts

Back