Paph roth "Scott Ware" FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice but it's not great by any means. 4 flowers. 29, 6, 1.9. Pouch color isn't that great. Pinched synsepal. Judges don't know what they are doing. Look at my Roth 'Dragon', it destroys every measument and it has better color. It still has flaws but it crushes this Roth. And it has 5 flowers. I had it in my orchid display. It wasn't even pulled. Because I'm not in with the orchid people or not liked lol. Jeanne Keading I think is her name. She was head judge. Her display also got first place. I asked Claudio I think his name, another judge, why wasn't this pulled. It is larger than every Roth even awarded. He said roths now a days are this big and spread his hands out. I just laughed. Awards are useles. I never take any of my plants to get awarded. The only way it ever happens is if they are in displays. Again why should I pay to show someone valuable plants. There is risk involved as well.

I dont know if it's worth an FCC from this picture...I know that size is important but so is presentation of the entire inflorescence..(at least that seems to be a priority of the NW judging teams)...if this was judged in Seattle, then I know from experience that this was award most likely matches up to recent FCC's...as they are extremely finicky about giving awards and generally fall in line with trends ...especially FCC's.

This cultivar was awarded in Orlando at the Central Florida Orchid Society show in April 2015.

It has a sister seedling, Paph. rothschildianum 'Krull's Asheville', AM/AOS that was awarded at the Western North Carolina Orchid Society show in March 2014.

This cross was made by Frank Smith using Paph. rothschildianum ('Krull's Ruby' x 'Samantha'). 'Krull's Ruby' is from Taiwan and 'Samantha' is OZ breeding.

Nice but I'm not sure it is worthy of an FCC. Maybe the photo doesn't do it justice. To me to be worthy of an FCC it must better previous FCC's, not just match them. It must take the species forward. I think there have been better FCC awarded clones in the US previously.

Pretty roth with classic shape and color
In line with what I consider a good roth
Drogon is amazing for color size and different/ new shape for the petals but
I prefer thiner petals. Ton has currently very good pics of roth for sale with long and aerial petals

Pretty roth with classic shape and color
In line with what I consider a good roth
Drogon is amazing for color size and different/ new shape for the petals but
I prefer thiner petals. Ton has currently very good pics of roth for sale with long and aerial petals

The petals are also longer it has 31.5 ns

I don't think a Roth can make it into the very nice range for me unless it has minimum 2cm petals. The best TON roths all satisfy this as well.

I think 30, 6.5, 2. This is a good general guideline for Roth size. There are lots of other things but for size this is a starter for me. If it has amazing color or form can it still be good if all these aren't met, sure? If petals are down swept then ns not so important.

The other things include synsepal. Color coming up to proximal petal. Pouch color richness. ...... Lots of things

Don't get me wrong? I don't want to seem overly cynical, this is a very nice Roth and if I bloomed it I would keep it. It just is not at the top tier for me.

Latest posts

Back