Paph richardianum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ayreon

Hi!
I have a paph richardianum in bud for the first time. But I haven't really figured out if it should be called Paph richardianum or Paph loowi var richardianum.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Take your pick. All that really matters is that the plant has a label that somehow contains richardianum.

However, Kew accepts Paph. lowii var. richardianum as the valid name.

Let's not confuse acceptance for registration with taxonomic validity. Keep it labeled richardianum, with or without lowii preceding it. Clearly it is horticulturally distinct and not just another lowii. A classic lumper/splitter toss up that happens when we try to impose our artificial classification scheme on the real world.

Yes, keep the richardianum tag, regardless. Never pay any attention at all to Kew. They haven't got a clue.

Let's not confuse acceptance for registration with taxonomic validity. Keep it labeled richardianum, with or without lowii preceding it. Clearly it is horticulturally distinct and not just another lowii. A classic lumper/splitter toss up that happens when we try to impose our artificial classification scheme on the real world.

Besides being fairly distinct from lowii visually by flower and plant habit (culturally), they also seem to be distinct geographically (Sulawesi) and ecologically(grasslands).

So I think it has more justification for species status than a lot of other pairs such as hirsutisimum and esquiriolei, callosum and barbatum, appletonianum and tortipetalum.

Unfortunately it looks like I got a mislabeled plant. The fist flower is just about to open and it looks like a standard lowii to me :-(

I'll post a photo when all flowers are open. I think it will be 4 of them... but it is a standard lowii. I'm not that depressed. My other lowi is not doing too well, so...

I also have a plant labeled "lynniae" from the same vendor. Will be really interesting to see if that turns out to be a standard lowii as well. In that case...I'm not a happy buyer :)

Latest posts

Back