Paph. randsii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent job!!!!! I always had difficulty growing better yet bloom Paph. randsii even when I was still living in the Philippines. I remember seeing them flowering with up to 12 or more per spike on big plants.
Wow, that must have been an incredible sight! I sure hope I can keep this one going well enough to have that many flowers on a spike.

Gosh, you're more patient than I am! That's a long time but it'll be worth the wait when it does bloom. I should warn you that just when you think the plant is mature enough to send up a bud it'll send out a new growth instead. Hang in there.

I got the seedling from them and it was under 2 inch leafspan! It is a real slow grower. Right now I have a compot of randsii and they are faster growing than the one from Forestview.

I got the seedling from them and it was under 2 inch leafspan! It is a real slow grower. Right now I have a compot of randsii and they are faster growing than the one from Forestview.
Mine was small too but I don't think it was that small. Too bad I didn't take a picture of it at the time. I hope yours will eventually pick up the pace and get growing for you.

I’ve seen the photos of smallish plants in bloom as well as this monster … is it that they can bloom even when small or or these different varieties?
Different varieties (sort of). If memory serves, there was talk of naming the plants like the one above Paph randsii var. giganteum at one point. There's a smallish one which blooms on a 15-18in plant with a typical multifloral paph flower count (3-6), and the giant version you see above. The smaller one is more common in captivity. It's also possible that by breeding the collected runty plants, we selected for the small strain ourselves lol.

Last edited:
Different varieties (sort of). If memory serves, there was talk of naming the plants like the one above Paph randsii var. giganteum at one point. There's a smallish one which blooms on a 15-18in plant with a typical multifloral paph flower count (3-6), and the giant version you see above. The smaller one is more common in captivity. It's also possible that by breeding the collected runty plants, we selected for the small strain ourselves lol.
The randsii that I flowered many years ago had 10 flowers on first blooming seedling and the leafspan was close to 4 feet leafspan and the flower spike was about 5 feet in height. Could not keep it so I sold it!

Wow!!! Congratulations. Such a hard species to grow. Mine is growing so so slow. My wish is to bring this species back to the Phils. along with anitum. Please try to self it or find another fast growing plant. I will difinitely buy a few flasks. You have a good grower and the flower has exceptional color.

Oh my God!!!!Many-many thanks for sharing!!!Can I ask about "few" things???First is ls. Second is potting mix.Next is about feeding.Fertilizer type( with ingredients), mode, concentration( exact measurments, uS or ppm). Foliar feeding or by roots?

Captivity lol.

Latest posts

Back