Paph. randsii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lori.b

Reaction score
B66F1143-7AB6-4BA1-A124-A24EAF06040E.jpegC5C48C78-27CF-4FC8-9098-AD0B9876A8B7.jpeg

I haven't posted anything for a while but am excited to see my Paph. randsii coming into bloom for the first time since I acquired it as a seedling in 2016. There are a total of six blooms opening on the inflorescence. I've been growing it intermediate to warm and bright with waterings twice a week. The spike took a very long time to develop and the flowers are taking an equally long time to open.

Congrats! Shame you're not in the US, that's pollen I'd love to put to use lol
What? No first date? LOL. Yes it is a shame that the border is such a barrier because I don't know the first thing about taking pollen from my orchids and I don't think I'd want to experiment with this one.

Very nice - looks like I was more then we’ll worth the wait. Can’t wait to see when they’re all open. May I ask where the seedlings were from?

Excellent job!!!!! I always had difficulty growing better yet bloom Paph. randsii even when I was still living in the Philippines. I remember seeing them flowering with up to 12 or more per spike on big plants.

Very nice - looks like I was more then we’ll worth the wait. Can’t wait to see when they’re all open. May I ask where the seedlings were from?
Thank you. The seedling came from a somewhat local nursery, Forestview Gardens, along with a number of other seedlings that turned out to be excellent plants. Unfortunately they closed their business about a year into the pandemic.

That is a nice Paph randsii that you got. I also got one randsii from Forestview Garden in 2011 and still waiting for it to flower!

What? No first date? LOL. Yes it is a shame that the border is such a barrier because I don't know the first thing about taking pollen from my orchids and I don't think I'd want to experiment with this one.
B66F1143-7AB6-4BA1-A124-A24EAF06040E~2.jpeg

Oh that's easy. If you only wish to collect pollen and not set a pod, just remove the capsules circled in red when the flower starts to fade & put them in a little container in the fridge. They'll keep for 18 months.

View attachment 34261

Oh that's easy. If you only wish to collect pollen and not set a pod, just remove the capsules circled in red when the flower starts to fade & put them in a little container in the fridge. They'll keep for 18 months.
Hmm, well that's not the rocket science I thought it would be. I can probably manage that. Perhaps I can find someone in Canada who could put the pollen to good use before the 18 months are up. Thank you for the tutorial.

Last edited:
That is a nice Paph randsii that you got. I also got one randsii from Forestview Garden in 2011 and still waiting for it to flower!
Gosh, you're more patient than I am! That's a long time but it'll be worth the wait when it does bloom. I should warn you that just when you think the plant is mature enough to send up a bud it'll send out a new growth instead. Hang in there.

Latest posts

Back