Paph randsii- Sam Tsui

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three sources of Paph "randsii"

I thought I would post pics of the randsii plants I have to get peoples opinions.
First is the flask/compot I bought from Sam in 06/2009, 'California Girl' X 'New World'
prandsiicalifgirlxnewwo.jpg

The next two pics are of a single fan I got recently. See how it is so stiff, upright and "V" shaped?
prandsii0609.jpg

prandsii06092.jpg

The third plant was bought off of Ebay in 10/2002 as randsii. It has never bloomed. It has pointed leaf tips with softer, wavier leaves and 10 -12 inch NS
prandsii10022.jpg

prandsii10021.jpg

I thought I would post pics of the randsii plants I have to get peoples opinions.
First is the flask/compot I bought from Sam in 06/2009, 'California Girl' X 'New World'
prandsiicalifgirlxnewwo.jpg

The next two pics are of a single fan I got recently. See how it is so stiff, upright and "V" shaped?
prandsii0609.jpg

prandsii06092.jpg

The third plant was bought off of Ebay in 10/2002 as randsii. It has never bloomed. It has pointed leaf tips with softer, wavier leaves and 10 -12 inch NS
prandsii10022.jpg

prandsii10021.jpg

Wow! Such beautiful plants and compot that you have!

Paphman910

very nice - third plant from what I see has foliage with no hyaline edges - might not be a randsii

Nice going Rick! Beautiful plants! Maybe one or two will flower in the next 10-15 years. :poke: I hope the flowers will be worth the wait. :)

Michel

very nice - third plant from what I see has foliage with no hyaline edges - might not be a randsii
Good pickup Uri. I never have trusted this plant's tag

Nice going Rick! Beautiful plants! Maybe one or two will flower in the next 10-15 years. :poke: I hope the flowers will be worth the wait. :)

Michel

I hope it will be worth it too Michel!

Wow! the giant randsii are really fantastic!!! :drool:

+1
I think only Sam's flask looks true randsii to me (white margin on leaves). I bought one to Sam at the same time, they are growing pretty fast by now... exactly like roebellinii in my experience, so maybe about 3 more years to wait. :)

Sam showed me his exhibit one of them is Paph. randsii back in 2005 at the MAOC. I have to find the pics so I could post it.

Brian, I grow the compot fairly shaded ( the only one I trust as randsii) and water every 2-4 days in summer. This fall I've been watering every two days because the humdity is very low. The GH is small 14ft X 32ft with six fans going (4- 24/7) so drying out is a big factor. Fertilze every watering peter's prof, 20/20/20 at 100ppm N plus a dash of Epson's Salts. The algae/moss is heavy in the pot
Hope this helps

I can't see any hyaline edges on the monster randsii (although the photos are not focused on foliage), and your 3rd adult plant has wider leaves that are slightly convex like the monster randsii too.

The second plant is the oddball too me, with the long narrow (and stiff) leaves. But it looks a lot like Likepaphs randsii from a couple years back.

Your compot looks healthy Rick. What kind of leaf span do you have now?

I just got 2 plants from this breeding, and they seem to be growing pretty good to me.

randsii have very shiny leaves like sanderianum and gigantifolium so the plants from Slipperking are as follow for me:

1)sams randsii compot
2-3)philippinense
4-5)difficult to say but I think P lowii hybrid...probably Berenice(slightly opaque/rough leaves)

What about intaniae as a possiblity for plant #2? The only reason why I would entertain that idea is because at the time of purchase I also bought Paph anitum. It was most likely not seed grown nor was plant #2.

What about intaniae as a possiblity for plant #2? The only reason why I would entertain that idea is because at the time of purchase I also bought Paph anitum. It was most likely not seed grown nor was plant #2.

...intanniae is different...and quite easy to identifie after having seen a real one...i noticed that is also easy to identifie it also at flask/seedling stage...

Latest posts

Back