Paph randsii- Sam Tsui

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautifull plant,there are more photos of it around.
The grower is Japanese and shurly one of the best in the world,very well known for his P.leucochilum breeding success(some of the best around,at same level of the best in Thailand nowaday),is mister Masahiro Saito.
I have seen photos of better P.randsii giganteum than this one...you can t believe...but this one have not a high flower count....Mr. Golamco shown me a photo with one plant with 18 flower x stem....doubble than this one!!!!

The picture of Sam Tsui shows the following plant
Paphiopedilum randsii 'Toki' HCC- AJOS
I get the picture from the owner Dr. Saitoh who get in Japan high prices for.
The plant is now bigger.
Here 3 pictures which I get from the owner Dr. Saitoh of
PaphiopedilumrandsiiTokiHCC-AJOS2PflanzeimGewchshausSaitoh.jpg

PaphiopedilumrandsiiTokiHCC-AJOS4Pflanze.jpg

PaphiopedilumrandsiiTokiHCC-AJOS5Bltenstand.jpg

PaphiopedilumrandsiiTokiHCC-AJOS7Blte.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Wonderful pictures everyone! I should of asked here for plant pictures of randsii instead of googling. I had bought a plant some time back as "randsii" but it just doesn't look like randsii that I remember. Plus, I got a flask from Sam a year ago and this mature "randsii" looks nothing like the seedlings either. Its so hard to find pictures of plants (confirmed pic) so when I ran across this pic I just had to share with you all.
My best guess is, the plant I bought as randsii is probably not randsii!

Very beautiful! But I don't think I'll live long enough to grow a randsii that looks like that. :sob:

Here some pictures of the gigantic randsii which I get some years ago from Asia
Also when the pictures are not the best quality, perhaps interesting for you

PflanzemitSammlerOlafGruss.jpg

PflanzeimTopfOlafGruss.jpg

PaphiopedilumrandsiineuerTypBltenstand.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

paph. randsii giant

hi guys,

the pictures Olaf just posted where from that 2nd collecting trip undertaken by a well known German orchidist and 1 guy from former east Germany and a Manilla orchid trader with good contacts to Japan and Taiwan ,
the guy holding the giant randsii is the real discoverer/orchid hunter/collector of Paph. anitaeum and giant Paph. randsii not Golamco he merely described it after a local trader bought it from this collector and passed the plants on to Golamco.
on the 1st collecting trip they were only looking for anitaeum
it's the 2nd trip that they went to select anitaeums in flower in nature they came across this giant form of randsii by accident .
happy orchid growing from Northern Thailand
cliokchi;)

about 10 + years

it took the Japanese grower at least 10 to 12 yrs to grow this perfect specimen
I'm very surprised he was awarded an HCC only !!
this is definitely on of the finest grown specimens i've seen in my life and i'll be
52 in 1 month .
happy orchid growing from Northern Thailand
cliokchi

Damn! I wonder how many years it took for it to get to this size?

Gosh! The bloomstalk looks almost as thick as the man's finger!! That's a monster he's holding lol :rollhappy:

Thanks for sharing these great pics!

Wonderful pictures everyone! I should of asked here for plant pictures of randsii instead of googling. I had bought a plant some time back as "randsii" but it just doesn't look like randsii that I remember. Plus, I got a flask from Sam a year ago and this mature "randsii" looks nothing like the seedlings either. Its so hard to find pictures of plants (confirmed pic) so when I ran across this pic I just had to share with you all.
My best guess is, the plant I bought as randsii is probably not randsii!

Randsii growth habit looks pretty variable Rick. If you recall, Likepaphs had a randsii bloom a couple of years ago, and until the blooms opened, we all swore it was something else because the plant habit was like a phili. Now we see a plant thats more like a kolo rather than the short round leaf randsii we are used to seeing (more like dianthum). I think Sam's plants are pretty well verified as randsii, but I certainly can't vouch for your other plant, but I wouldn't through it out until you see the blooms.

Dear Rick,
here pctures of the single flowers of the gigamtic plant. Really a true randsii with a gigantic growth, the flowers were a bit damaged

PaphiopedilumrandsiineuerTypBlteseitlich.jpg

PaphiopedilumrandsiineuerTypBlteFront.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

I keep wondering if that so-called gigantea type really constitutes a true variety, or if it’s just an exceptionally well grown cultivar, or an endemic group that developed separately/isolated over time. Here in Europe they are sometimes available, but with some shady looking (wild-collected) aspects to them, since it seems more than doubtful if these plants were legally imported. However rare randsii as a species in cultivation is, the only way to get some answers would be by means of a long vacation in the Philippines, and by studying the natural habitat… Maybe one day, but first I’d like to visit Paph. druyi, for whatever reason (and that has been a dream even before I came across randsii).

Latest posts

Back