Paph randsii- Sam Tsui

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this plant and /or picture of Sam' randsii? I was doing a search for randsii pictures, plant /leaves and came across this one! I'm impressed.
paphrandsiiplant4spikes.jpg

OMG!!! How many years did it take to get it to that size!?:drool::drool:
I thought that the plant size of randsii was smaller as well as the flowers ....
I guess not!

That's a fabulous randsii, Rick -- not surprising since it is Sam's. The only think I don't like about it is the intense blue background -- I find that color distracts from the flowers. But you had nothing to do with that.

Sam merely holds the copyright to the picture (he puched the button on the camera)- it might not be his plant, but he is certainly capable of such a feat. Note the blue background, that tells me it might have been taken at the Japan Grand Prix show??? I sorta doubt Sam would tote this gorgeous creature across the world. It's less likely it'd arrive in such pristine condition. Just connecting some dots, I have no idea of the real story of this pic.

Regardless... AWESOME!

Guess what's going to the top of Wendy's wish-list!

Wow! I'd forgotten about randsii and how well it can perfom with top notch culture and a lot of time! This is a stunning plant!

Ernie is right!!!

I believe this here is that same plant?

5080548972_a010c51701_b.jpg

And yes, this is a picture Olaf Gruss has published on a German Forum site, and yes, back in the day...that picture was taken in Japan. When I came across the photo first, I needed Oxygen for a week!

That is amazing. You don't see many around as they are so difficult to grow. So the grower obviously knows what they are doing.

David

LOL Johnboy, as I saw sam's Picture here, I had to inmediately think of the photo you just posted. I went to google to get it and then I realized you had posted it here already :)

a little light on the randsii !

hi paph. lovers,

this is a superior form of Paph. randsii that was discovered about the same time
as Paph. anitaeum they both came from the same region.
this type is very hard to establish more difficult than gigantifolium but once it takes root it explodes as a cabbage.
the other ''classic old type randsii'' comes from a location far and away from the large type,
the classic type grows in between rock crevasses similar to stonei's habitat filled with leaf litter with a higher sun exposure as the new form .
it was discovered on the second collecting trip of anitaeum.
when Golamco described and discovered he only came across anitaeum his discovery and was in 1996-1997
the 2nd collecting trip without Golamco produced the large randsii form and that was in 98/99 i forgot the exact date
hope to have shed a little bit of light about the ''giant randsii''
yes to grow it like that needs superb grower's skills but it's sheer size and numbers of flowers is due to it genetics and not the grower's fantastic job
however it was a fantastastic plant !!:clap::clap::clap:

Back