Paph. Raisin Pie x Maudiae or?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
This Paph is not mine, but a member on the Swedish orchid forum posted it and asked for a possible ID.

I know it's pretty much impossible to ID a Maudiae type, but I said I would see if you guys could help (the reputation of Slippertalk now rests on your shoulders :evil: ).

I have this person's permission to post the pictures so here they are:

283021.orig.jpg

283020.orig.jpg

I think Paph. Raisin Pie x Maudiae is a possible ID, but it could probably be another million possible crosses. Another member suggested it's a Paph. Maudiae, but to me, the petal stance and the spots look wrong for a Maudiae. It looks like there's some sukhakulii in its heritage, I think.

Thanks guys! Good to know that I can at least recognize a Maudiae. You've taught me well, Slippertalk. :wink:

There is no way to be certain, but there's a pretty good chance this is Hsinying Alien (Raisin Pie x Supersuk). The cross is quite variable, but often looks a lot like this. It seems to account for about half of the mass market Paphs in the world the last couple years. But any other Maudiae-type with a dose of sukhakulii could look like this too.

There is no way to be certain, but there's a pretty good chance this is Hsinying Alien (Raisin Pie x Supersuk). The cross is quite variable, but often looks a lot like this. It seems to account for about half of the mass market Paphs in the world the last couple years. But any other Maudiae-type with a dose of sukhakulii could look like this too.
Aah, it could be one, yes. It's about as easy as getting a proper ID on it as it is getting one on a supermarket Phal; impossible in other words.

But at least we all seem to agree on Maudiae and sukhakulii being present in this cross. How, when, and why, is anybody's guess, however.

Thank you all for taking your time trying to help ID it. I'll tell the person the verdict was as expected. :)

Whatever it is, it is a very attractive bloom. Nice stem length, good balance, and pleasing mix of colour and spots. You can see why this makes an attractive and striking pot plant.

Latest posts

Back