• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paph purpuratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got some from Carter and Holmes. I think Orchids Limited has them on their list too.

Can't recall any hybrids with them, but I'm more into species and don't keep up.

For the hybrids, try Paph Kowloon, that's a lovely purpuratum hybrid. Not very easy to find, but a very easy grower, the parents are Paph. New Era x purpuratum, and that was one of the most important parents for Maudiae breeding...

Some colonies of purpuratum have a massive dorsal which stands absolutely flat until the flower fade ( not recurved like "usual"), I have seen such colonies coming from Cao Bang, Viet Nam, and from Wenshan, China. Be aware that for many growers, purpuratum is an easy grower and bloomer until it suddenly dies ( so not exactly a beginner plants on the medium/long term).

Be aware that for many growers, purpuratum is an easy grower and bloomer until it suddenly dies ( so not exactly a beginner plants on the medium/long term).

This has been my experience too (having lost maybe a half dozen at this point) and the Orchids Limited culture sheet cautions that this species has special needs for high humidity. I agree.

In Cribb's book a study of leaf thickness of various paphs showed that purpuratum was the thinest leafed species in the study (making it more sensitive to water loss in dry air). Since I started playing with sangii (a species notorious for dying and requiring high humidity) I'd say its the second thinest leafed plant in the genus. In Lance Birk's book with the section on "good air Vs bad air" this species requires "very good air"

Try keeping them very shaded and humid (70 to 80%). I think they are tolerant of a pretty wide temp range, but easily stressed in dry air and bright light.

Back