Paph purpuratum and wardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathias

Reaction score
Two species flowering for the first time in my collection. Paphiopedilum purpuratum on the left and Paphiopedilum wardii on the right. Two lovely species in my opinion. I bought the wardii plant after seeing emyduras photos last year on the species (http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21143). The foliage is great! :clap: My wardii plant is from a selfing of the clone 'Darkwing', bought as a seedling from Asendorfer in Germany.

8170099554_35b04765b9_b.jpg

However, I fear my wardii is attempting to bloom itself to death. When the flowering shoot started growing a bud it also started on two new growths. These new growths, having just starting to take off, have all of a sudden starting to grow buds!!! :( I will probably have to cut all spikes and see how it progresses. Maybe poor roots, or it may suffer from a previous bad fertilizer regime that I had. Btw. the plant has a third starter growth on its way.

8170102576_0bbca62d53_b.jpg

Mine does the same thing and no, it didn't bloom itself to death. Although I will have to wait awhile before it blooms again from all the other new starts.

Mine does the same thing and no, it didn't bloom itself to death. Although I will have to wait awhile before it blooms again from all the other new starts.

Good to know! So you let the small growths develop the flowers?

Very nice.... I'm wondering if you could have been growing the wardii too cool (if that is even possible) and maybe that stimulated immature growths to bud..

I grow my wardii on a windowsill in my living room (north window), so the temperature seldom go below 18 C. And there is no draught from the window.

Looks like your purpuratum is a very pale clone, I currently have one blooming that's much darker. However I haven't shared it yet because the first flower is sitting at the base of the growth. Only the ovary makes it clear the leaves a little bit.

Not quite sure that is causing this.

I am showing your P. wardii to mine right now, in the hope it decides to finally open its bud!

Great flowers.

The both of them are lovely even if the purpuratum seems to be a slightly paler clone. My wardii is a sibling to yours but still away from blooming size.

Looks like your purpuratum is a very pale clone, I currently have one blooming that's much darker. However I haven't shared it yet because the first flower is sitting at the base of the growth. Only the ovary makes it clear the leaves a little bit.

Not quite sure that is causing this.

It sure is pale. I prefer the darker ones, and I hope the next flower will be darker. Otherwise it will be replaced!

Love, LOVE, LOVE your wardii! I have a sibling as well which tried and failed to bloom recently. I hope it'll start making a new fan or two so that it might bloom next year. I hope you manage to rescue yours, they're gorgeous.

I'm totally with you on preferring darker purpuratum clones in front of pale ones, so I'm very glad my purpuratum turned out to be a darker one. :D

Latest posts

Back