Paph. Prime Child

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nikv

Hi!

I received my new digital camera yesterday and was finally able to snap a few pix of my Paph. Prime Child (primulinum x rothschildianum). I held a ruler up to one of the flowers and it's slightly over four inches in width from petal tip to tip. I purchased this plant at an orchid show at least a dozen years ago from Orchids of Los Osos. I have never divided it. It's in a 12-inch hanging basket (plastic pot) in medium fir bark. It has many, many growths. I've never actually counted them. I probably ought to divide the thing, ya think?

IMG_0006a.jpg

IMG_0001a.jpg

Best Regards,
Nik

Great flower! Has it bloomed before? Does it bloom every year? I have a blooming size plant that I am watching very carefully!

Great flower! Has it bloomed before? Does it bloom every year? I have a blooming size plant that I am watching very carefully!
Yes, it blooms every year. It usually has multiple spikes at once. Only two spikes this year.

It has many, many growths. I've never actually counted them. I probably ought to divide the thing, ya think?

Best Regards,
Nik

To divide or not to divide. That is the question. Personally, if the plant is healthy and blooms well, and you have the space, leave it. I love specimen plants! I wish I had more room, though! Looks like you're doing well with yours.

OMG... that's a very happy plant you have there... :drool: :drool: Nice flower, BTW... :D You should bring it to competitions if it bears 5 spikes at once...
I discovered two more spikes this morning. :rollhappy:

As for competitions, I've never exhibited an orchid nor have I ever had one judged. I don't even belong to a local orchid society. My bad.

That is a beautiful flower!

But if the plant has never been repotted, it might be time to have a look at it's roots (after the blooming is finished).

Looks like you have a good camera, also.

I don't even belong to a local orchid society. My bad.

Well, I hope you'll find your local society and start attending meetings right away! My monthly society meeting is the highlight of every month. I've met so many interesting people, learned so much, and acquired so many great orchids for little or nothing. I can't recommend too highly participating in a local society!

^ ^
You're right, I should. Would be a good experience for me and a great way to meet other people who share my interest in orchids.

Oh, by the way, discovered a fifth spike forming this morning! :clap:

Latest posts

Back