Paph Predacious? a lost tag issue

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
I think this is Paph Predacious, and a fairly nice one at that, but it is a lost tag plant. It was labeled when I bought it, and I somehow lost the tag, I hate it when that happens.

The most likely suspects given what I had purchased over the years are Predacious (glanduliferum x adductum), and William Ambler (rothschildianum x wilhelminiae). Any thoughts? The stripes in the dorsal that nearly fuse lead me to believe it is Predacious (glanduliferum x adductum). It is a beefy plant, bigger than my Moustache, and most of my philippinense, so I think it was made with praestans (sensu Braem) rather than wilhelminiae. The column definitely shows praestans/wilhelminiae traits, but also makes me think William Ambler, as it also reminds me of the column you see in rothschildianum hybrids. What do the Slipper Talk experts think?

Sorry Dot, I took these pictures outside at dusk, so the blue is too heavy in the no flash image and the images with flash are too color saturated. :eek: I won't have time to re-shoot them this year, the flower stem is going to be cut for table decorations at my niece's wedding reception. Got to ship a bunch of cut flowers to her florist tomorrow.

Predacious-1230-June2011p.jpg

Predacious-1230-June2011a.jpg

Predacious-1230-June2011i.jpg

Predacious-1230-June2011j.jpg

Can't help expertly on the ID, but what a lovely flower! I have a similar flowering of a Roth x Praestans right now, but yours' dorsal is wider. My flower, which I will try to get photographed and post tomorrow, doesn't have the fusing of the dorsal stripes that yours shows on both the front and rear of the sepal. The staminode seems identical from what I can see in your photos, though that part is the level at which I have less expertise than I want.

Nice Leo

I was thinking either a dark Susan Booth or William Ambler. It definately seems to have roths in it. So if you had a William Ambler in your collection, I'd suggest that is the one.

David

I agree with David, it looks more like a William Ambler if that is a possibility. The red staminode and dark stripes and petals make this look more like a wilhelminiae hybrid. It's a beautiful Paph!

Nice Leo

I was thinking either a dark Susan Booth or William Ambler. It definately seems to have roths in it. So if you had a William Ambler in your collection, I'd suggest that is the one.

David

Last edited:
my first impression when i saw the photo was William Ambler but I'm no authority. One thing is for certain--its' nice!!

Shape of the dorsal is not right for an adductum hybrid, and the pouch looks wrong too. William Ambler would be my guess too, and it's a fabulous one.

Sorry Dot, I took these pictures outside at dusk, so the blue is too heavy in the no flash image and the images with flash are too color saturated. :eek: I won't have time to re-shoot them this year, the flower stem is going to be cut for table decorations at my niece's wedding reception. Got to ship a bunch of cut flowers to her florist tomorrow.

That's when I just take it into Photoshop and do some color correction: :D

LeosPaph.jpg

Id-ing this is tough! I did some googling of Predacious, Susan Booth and William Ambler. I'd tend to agree that it's Susan Booth because of the pouch shape and color and the distinctive striping on the petals. William Ambler and Predacious both seem to have more spotting than striping. But that's all very unclear in the photos.

I was going to say Susan Booth,but I think I might be a little late to the party lol!

It could be Susan Booth but it would be the darkest one I have ever seen. The colour is more like my Willliam Ambler although possibly not quite as dark. Mine doesn't have spots on the petals but stripes like Leo's. You are going to get a lot of variation in Susan Booth due to the different colour forms. So it may just be a dark form but my money is still on William Ambler, especially if you say you did have one in your collection.

My William Ambler

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17737&highlight=william+ambler

My Susan Booth

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14602&highlight=susan+booth

Thanks everyone, I think you guys have collectively solved the mystery. The more I look at photos, and size of flower, I am leaning toward William Ambler. I purchased a couple and they 'disappeared' several years ago, I wasn't sure what happened to them.

I agree, now that I look more closely, Predacious would have a more cupped or hooded dorsal from the adductum, and narrower petals too.

Susan Booth (rothschildianum x praestans) tends to have a more yellow background, and the stripes tend to be separate and distinct in the dorsal. And the flower tends to be larger than this plant's. Also the only Susan Booth I own I had my hands on a month ago when I repotted it. It is a many growth plant, and still clearly tagged, so the mystery plant is not my Susan Booth.

William Ambler (rothschildianum x wilhelminiae) seems to be the best fit. The plant is not as large as my Susan Booth, my plant is very much like David's William Ambler, and there are a couple missing without explaination from my collection. Thanks, what was once lost, is now found. :rollhappy: I'm really glad this one lived. But now I wonder where those seedlings of Predacious are? :confused: I need to sort my plants out someday. :eek:

Thanks Dot for the color correction, you nailed the colors exactly to my eye. You are good :clap:

My niece will be the only one of her friends to have flowers of William Ambler tucked into her bridal bouquette. The color scheme for the bride and bridesmaids is white, silver and a burgundy red, this will blend in beautifully.

Back