Paph praestans

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Two different praestans I have flowering at the moment and both very different. The first one is a nice dark form. This is the second time I have flowered it and it is an improvement on the first flowering albeit with a deformed flower. The third bud looks to be deformed as well. Still, I see a lot to like about this clone. It has a really large new growth so I am confident it will improve significantly next season. The last photo is of my lighter yellow based clone. A nice contrast.

praestans%20dark%202018.jpg

praestans%20dark%202018%202.jpg

praestans%20dark%202018%203.jpg

praestans%202018.jpg

David, both clones are very nice....but the first one is the better one. It has the more intense colouration and the dorsal is upright, not that hooded as with the flowers of the second one. The stance of the flowers is good with both clones. And don't care of the deformed flower, next flowering and everything will be perfect.

The lighter one is very nice! People are always thinking darker is better, but this species's best examples are the pale ones. Not everything is supposed to be darker.

The lighter one is very nice! People are always thinking darker is better, but this species's best examples are the pale ones. Not everything is supposed to be darker.

That, I think, might be a matter of taste.... but I partially agree with you, in the respect that the quest for darkness at the moment can go too far (e.g. roths)...with praestans, though, I like both the yellow-honeyed and the darker ones...

In this case I still would vote for the (imagined non-deformed) first one (I especially like the stance of the dorsal sepal...and the overall impression of the flowers)...which btw doesn't mean, that the second one isn't very nice!

And of course the discussion is quite hypothetical: if the deformity of the first plant isn't due to external factors or chance, but is genetically founded, we don't need bother... but to find out, I think, a second flowering is sorely needed!

Kind regards,
Jens

Last edited:
That, I think, might be a matter of taste.... but I partially agree with you, in the respect that the quest for darkness at the moment can go too far (e.g. roths)...with praestans, though, I like both the yellow-honeyed and the darker ones...

In this case I still would vote for the (imagined non-deformed) first one (I especially like the stance of the dorsal sepal...and the overall impression of the flowers)...which btw doesn't mean, that the second one isn't very nice!

And of course the discussion is quite hypothetical: if the deformity of the first plant isn't due to external factors or chance, but is genetically founded, we don't need bother... but to find out, I think, a second flowering is sorely needed!

Kind regards,
Jens

I agree with you Jens. Colour aside, the first clone has the better flowers. The dorsal on the darker clone is a lot flatter and the spike is much taller, holding the flowers way above the leaves. The darker clone is still a small plant, so it has a bit of improvement still in it. The only negative with it is that the flower stem is very weak. It definitely has to be staked.

Back