Paph praestans

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I've been waiting for weeks to photograph this plant but the third flower just isn't co-operating! The stem hasn't elongated as I would hope for and the flower is super slow to open. So, here it is.
Ppraestans.jpg

P1070961.jpg

P1070959.jpg

Staminode from the side.
P1070962.jpg

Nice Rick. Always great to see this species. The third bud still seems OK. Fingers crossed. My praestans is in low sheath at the moment. Seems to be taking forever to advance.

My experience with this species is a bit depressing. I have always thought that this species clumps easily just like a philippinense. I cant seem to do it with this.

Really nice one Rick. Is this an older cultivar from collected stock or is this from seed?

This is classic praestans, I love the yellow colors. Nice formal presentation to the flower. Good photo too.

Excellent flower Rick:clap:

The plant looks pretty happy from what I can see too.

You should self this one and make some seed!

Thanks everyone for all of your kind comments.

My experience with this species is a bit depressing. I have always thought that this species clumps easily just like a philippinense. I cant seem to do it with this.
I have three different clones and they all clump. This is a relatively cheap species to buy these days, you should buy more!

Oh, so nice! Okay, Rick. This is a cyber-stickup. Send me that plant and nobody gets hurt!
I just looked on google maps John and I'm happy to say there appears to be approx. 2500 km and a international border between the two of us!!! I still may not be safe but that info does make me feel a bit better!

Really nice one Rick. Is this an older cultivar from collected stock or is this from seed?

This is classic praestans, I love the yellow colors. Nice formal presentation to the flower. Good photo too.
Leo, I'm not really sure. I would lean towards collected but definitely older stock. On my trip to FL. in March 2011 I picked this plant up from Phelps Farm Orchids, INC. They're really into Cats with mostly older hybrid Paphs on the side. The tag only says, "Paph praestans" and it was the only praestans in all of their Paphs I could find! If from seed, it was a long time ago.

Not a species I'm normally taken with, but this is beautiful and has really gotten my attention. Well done!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Another species to add to my list. Thanks for sharing your plant with us, Rick.

Latest posts

Back