Paph phillipinense var roebellinii 'Coco' AM/AOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
At the same time my Susan Booth was awarded, my roebellinii was given an AM award. It is a nice clone with a very intense red colouring. I have named it after my loyal dog.

Unfortunately the judges had the plant all day at a workshop. When I got it back, a lot of the petals had shrivelled up, so this photo is not showing it at its best. It is a problem witht this species. The flowers don't last long and they are very sensitive to low humidity. Still, it got an AM award so I was happy to make the sacrifice.

Just in case you think I have a very generous judging panel with all these recent awards. :) They have actually been judged by a different panel on each occasion. The roth at our show in Canberra, the Bel Royal in Sydney and these last two at a regional judging workshop. There are not enough orchid judges in Canberra, so I don't get many opportunities to have my plants judged for awards. This year it has all come together.

roebellinii%20coco%20am%20aoc.jpg

roeb.jpg

Great growing of a wonderful clone, David! Congrats, you have well deserved all your this years awards.

Btw, I love the irregularity at the end of two lines of the drawing on the dorsal. It's so charming!

Very well deserved - a big congrats from the northern hemisphere! :)

Kind regards,
Jens

PS.
Just in case you think I have a very generous judging panel with all these recent awards. :) They have actually been judged by a different panel on each occasion
Before you brought it up, yourself, the thought didn't even cross my mind! And, well, as you have posted pics along with the announcements of the awards, and we are not blind...one could consider your superfluous remarks as an insulting remark on our intelligence! :evil: :evil:

V
Before you brought it up, yourself, the thought didn't even cross my mind! And, well, as you have posted pics along with the announcements of the awards, and we are not blind...one could consider your superfluous remarks as an insulting remark on our intelligence! :evil: :evil:

LOL. That comment of mine says more about me than you Jens. :)

Award shopping.....................that's a new concept ...LOL
BTW - one L and 2 Ps and roebelenii

You are going to have to explain that one to me Stephen. :confused:

philippinense - one L and 2 Ps, not how you have spelt it
roebelenii - is the correct spelling.

I never thought you were 'shopping' the plants around for higher awards. (though it does happen, apparently)

roebelenii - is the correct spelling

Actually, Oz - a wizard in so many other ways, but here you are barking up the wrong tree - or as the germans would have put it: "Hier irrt Goethe!" (litterally: 'Here is Goethe wrong/making a mistake' - a saying addressing academic Besserwisserei :evil: ).

The plant is named P. roebbelenii in honour of the german orchid collector Carl Röbbelen (Braem & Chiron). As The International Code of Botanical Nomenclature does not allow for the german 'ö', the correct spelling is roebbelini.

Most kind regards,
Jens

Congrats and I love this species.
Yours certainly is a nice example of it. :)

With regard to the spelling of the name, I believe it is roebelenii.
One B and one L. The Swiss (I believe) collector's surname was also Röbelen oder Röbelin. Both works according to the literature.
So I believe that makes Roebelinii also works in my opinion? However, I always saw the name written as Roebelenii.

Award shopping, for the growers who are after getting their plants awarded, isn't it a natural thing to do, though??
Why waste a bench space and your precious time & energy with plants that are "less than"? All plants take time to take care of.

Even for others like me who are not interested in awards, still shop around to find the plants with qualities that fit their taste the best.

The plant is named P. roebbelenii in honour of the german orchid collector Carl Röbbelen (Braem & Chiron). As The International Code of Botanical Nomenclature does not allow for the german 'ö', the correct spelling is roebbelini.

Most kind regards,
Jens

Interesting, that's not how its spelt in the recent Orchid Digest Paphiopedilum issue written by Koopowitz - roebelenii. Its also spelt this way in 'The Plant List', Kew. http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-147220

Award shopping, for the growers who are after getting their plants awarded, isn't it a natural thing to do, though??
Why waste a bench space and your precious time & energy with plants that are "less than"? All plants take time to take care of.

Even for others like me who are not interested in awards, still shop around to find the plants with qualities that fit their taste the best.

Award shopping means taking the plant to a judging centre where it is more likely to be awarded ie the judges are more 'generous' in granting awards.

philippinense - one L and 2 Ps, not how you have spelt it
roebelenii - is the correct spelling.

I never thought you were 'shopping' the plants around for higher awards. (though it does happen, apparently)

Yes, a bit careless. I'd struggle to spell that the same twice in a row.

I wish I had the opportunities to 'shop' my plants around for higher awards. I'm rapt just to find a single available panel when I need it.

With regard to the spelling of the name, I believe it is roebelenii.
One B and one L. The Swiss (I believe) collector's surname was also Röbelen oder Röbelin. Both works according to the literature.
So I believe that makes Roebelinii also works in my opinion? However, I always saw the name written as Roebelenii.

Interesting, that's not how its spelt in the recent Orchid Digest Paphiopedilum issue written by Koopowitz - roebelenii. Its also spelt this way in 'The Plant List', Kew. http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-147220

I'll have to look up the part of Herr Röbbelen being either german or swiss (and if so, most likely from the german speaking part) - you might be right on that one, Happypaphy?

But on the spelling of the name of the orchid collector - and thus the correct spelling of the plant...c'mon, guys, give me a break! Don't tell me, that the multilingual Dr. Guido Braem, who lives and works in Germany (sic!), and who wouldn't jeopardize his academic credentials by not having checked the sources on the correct spelling of the name of either the plant or the man, got it wrong!
https://books.google.dk/books?id=aH...Q#v=onepage&q=carl röbbelen orchideen&f=false

And as for Kew - Kew Science, Plants of the world online, follows Cribb in placing the plant as a variety of philippinense, i.e. Paphiopedilum philippinense var. roebbelinii [the italics are mine]
http://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:953452-1

Latest posts

Back