Paph. philippinese var. laevigatum “red ruby” x self (Not an ordinary laevigatum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful phili! Certainly not ordinary - quite the opposite: that colouring can only be described as extrordinay. It's, actually, the phili I've seen, that I liked the most! Clonal name of the parent very apt, as this is a gem, indeed!

Wow, that contrast of color is outstanding. Overall, it is special. So this is a self of Red Ruby? I would like to know where I can get its siblings for my Phil project.

Wow, that contrast of color is outstanding. Overall, it is special. So this is a self of Red Ruby? I would like to know where I can get its siblings for my Phil project.
It is a selfing of the famous laevigatum clone, “red ruby”, and I have the parent plant too. The difference is mainly on petal stance and length: the parent can produce longer, flatter petal.

There are many selfing plants for red ruby selling in Taiwan. However, not every selfing plant can produce such a dark red dorsal similar to the parent, many of them just produce dorsal as an ordinary laevigatum, but the color is still attractive. There is another good crossing “red dragon” x “red ruby”, and it is not difficult to obtain in Taiwan. Many of them can produce very beautiful flowers too, you may have a searching on it if you have sources for buying paphs in Taiwan.

Thanks. I expected it must be from Taiwan. I will be going there anytime soon. Any particular nursery I can find these seedlings. I just need the variety of forms in my collection. They may not be special like yours but it sure will look different from the origin which is what I will try to show.
Thank you.

There are many selfing plants for red ruby selling in Taiwan. ..... There is another good crossing “red dragon” x “red ruby”, and it is not difficult to obtain in Taiwan. ...... if you have sources for buying paphs in Taiwan.
this is nice enough to chase a little ;-)

any suggestions for possible sources there? we do have our redlands show coming up... ;-)

Wonderful phili! Certainly not ordinary - quite the opposite: that colouring can only be described as extrordinay. It's, actually, the phili I've seen, that I liked the most! Clonal name of the parent very apt, as this is a gem, indeed!
Nothing more to say ..... just WOW

Excellent!
Seems like I remember someone on ST saying that pure forms of Roebellini and other varieties are getting hard to get because they have been crossed so much?
That’s true. However, I have heard that “red ruby” is a forest plant so that if it is really a selfing of it, the genie of such clone should be a pure laevigatum.

Latest posts

Back