Paph philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Paph. philippinense is in flower again. I bought it as a young plant from Hilmar some years ago.
As you know I'm no friend of staking flower spikes too much so take it as it is.

08360_22.01.30_paph philippinense.jpg

08365_22.01.30_paph philippinense.jpg

Love this species, I have one, bougth 3 years ago but didn’t bloom yet. So I don’t know exactly when is the bloom period to this species in this location ( north hemisfere ). Always blooming in winter Guru?? Do you have in a natural photoperiod of the sun?? Or is artificially lighting??

......So I don’t know exactly when is the bloom period to this species in this location ( north hemisfere ). Always blooming in winter Guru??
Yes it alway has flowered in late winter and when you have a look in the literature they say unisounously...peak flower season between January and April. Even David's Paph. philippinense has conserved this trait on the southern hemisphere.
.....Do you have in a natural photoperiod of the sun?? Or is artificially lighting??
It was a mix of natural light of a dull day and artificial light. To be honest I had to correct the white balance with a photo editor to achieve an almost exact renedring of the colours in the photo.

Last edited:
'stake aversion'?

Stephen, I wouldn't call it this way.....but I as an indoor grower am not interested in judging my plants. I'm pleased when they grow well and flower nicely when they are big enough. Some other may have other interests, but in the end - and this is my personal opinion - staked flowers look a bit like 'nailed at the cross'. Sorry, that's my impression.

Yes it alway has flowered in late winter and when you have a look in the literature they say unisounously...peak flower season between January and April. Even David's Paph. philippinense has conserved this trait on the southern hemisphere.

It was mix of natural light of a dull day and artificial light. To be honest I had to correct the white balance with a photo editor to achieve an almost exact renedring of the colours in the photo.
Thats only mean one thing….another year that not blooming for me 😂😂. Thnak you!

I don't know if my phone is playing tricks on me but I see a lot of blueish or whatever that color is in the surfaces...
Buy nice tall spikes...long petals and good growing...

Stephen, I wouldn't call it this way.....but I as an indoor grower am not interested in judging my plants. I'm pleased when they grow well and flower nicely when they are big enough. Some other may have other interests, but in the end - and this is my personal opinion - staked flowers look a bit like 'nailed at the cross'. Sorry, that's my impression.
Same here...very seldom I will use support to just a few that need it. Nutrition and proper light distribution will do the job...not as perfect as staking.
Look at this, this could have been 3 feet tall.

Attachments

• 16436474010962321622176964467253.jpg
    16436474010962321622176964467253.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 21
Could not love your plant or this comment more! Kudos and congrats! I’m afraid of staking, myself. Loving your compact phillipinense and especially the wide stance of those twisty laterals.

Nice growing Rudolf. The flowers come across as the type species for philippinense. Nicely held out petals with numerous twists.

Latest posts

Back