Paph. philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h_mossy

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paph. philippinense (JEM AM/AOS x fma alboflavum 'Sterling') This is the first bloom on a smallish, 3-fan & 1 small growth, paph. I was happy to see the petals develop that twist I admire on all the photos I see posted. It has 4 blooms in various stages of opening, and a small nub that may become a 5th one. I don't know how to photograph these plants yet, so tips and comments are welcomed.

paph_phil_front_zpszrq8ux7z.jpg

paph_phil_side_zpsdscblpst.jpg

Once the are all open and twisty I'll take another photo.

I love the petals. Long, dark, and twisty! Plus broad shoulders. Looking like a good clone. Is this a big grower?

Seems rather small compared to the others. Tip to tip it is 18", and that is with 3 fans, and a 4th just starting. The inflorescence seems taller than the width. I'll post a complete photo once it has opened the last bud. I have three from this cross, and all are on the small side. I have another philippinense that a friend gave me, and it is considerably larger than this one, yet it is still un-bloomed although it has 5 fans. Being on the small side is fine with me. I can pack in more plants.

If this is a nice philly, I really wouldn't know at this point due to limited experience. I am just happy to see the blooms. Day by day that last bud appears to be developing rather than blasting, so this should end up with 5 blooms.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking, and the comments. Regarding photos, I need to learn some more, especially about affects of the depth-of-field usage. I know it has something to do with f-stop (aperture size), shutter speed, and lighting (and not holding the camera in your hand for slow shutter speeds!). I even went so far as to obtain some black velvet for the light-absorbing background. Got blue and dark purple, too, but all the photos look like they have just a black background. I wonder what other colors would do. Can't find any white background I like. That's why I want a narrow depth of field.

Very nice clone. That is a keeper. One parent is alboflavum which should be smaller in size. That variety will produce smaller flowers and plants

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks for looking, and the comments. Regarding photos, I need to learn some more, especially about affects of the depth-of-field usage. I know it has something to do with f-stop (aperture size), shutter speed, and lighting (and not holding the camera in your hand for slow shutter speeds!). I even went so far as to obtain some black velvet for the light-absorbing background. Got blue and dark purple, too, but all the photos look like they have just a black background. I wonder what other colors would do. Can't find any white background I like. That's why I want a narrow depth of field.
You definitely need a narrow depth of field but not too much if you want all parts of the flower sharp. Too wide and you start seeing the background.
For colors, yours is just fine for me, colors look very natural. We all know how these flowers look in person so we can really tell if some
colored lights are added. But that's just me, you may like to explore some more and that is just fine. Congrats.
Seems rather small compared to the others. Tip to tip it is 18", and that is with 3 fans, and a 4th just starting. The inflorescence seems taller than the width. I'll post a complete photo once it has opened the last bud. I have three from this cross, and all are on the small side. I have another philippinense that a friend gave me, and it is considerably larger than this one, yet it is still un-bloomed. Being on the small side is fine with me. I can pack in more plants.

If this is a nice philly, I really wouldn't know at this point due to limited experience. I am just happy to see the blooms. Day by day that last bud appears to be developing rather than blasting, so this should end up with 5 blooms.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back