Paph. philippinense -- What do you think????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine typically bloom in the late winter early spring (feb-april most common), which is when I see them commonly in the spring shows too.

At that time of year its definitely not the long, warm days that's getting them going. Is yours under lights Dot?

Rick, it's been outside since June. The rest of the year, yes, it's under lights in my basement growing area.

No telling Dot. Out in my GH I let it get into the mid-hi fifties on winter nights, and with the normal winter cloud cover in TN there can be extended periods of relatively dark days with only 8 hours of daylight. I'm sure this is more extreme than what they experience in the wild, but I think they tend to follow swings of day length rather than temps. Even close to the equator, the "day length" will vary due to cloud cover during monsoons. I read that a lot of the multi's flowering seasons cue in with the end of the primary monsoon season. There is generally a dip in temps at that time as well, and probably a shift in nutrient availability. What's your winter light cycle?

That was then; this is now:

Paph_philippinense-09-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back