Paph. philippinense -- What do you think????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Nice, huh?
Paph_philippinense-09.jpg

But what do you think of this? It's on the same plant:
Paph_philippinense-09-mal-1.jpg

...as is this:
Paph_philippinense-09-mal-2.jpg

I've never seen anything like it. Both have petals that look like the dorsal sepal, and one has a dorsal that is a petal! Lest you think these are from different plants, they are not. I've grown this plant up from a single growth, so it's not like the Phrag I had which was two Phrags in one:
Paph_philippinense-09-plant.jpg

Well, when in doubt just cut the ugly out. Those blooms remind me of the painting 'THE SCREAM'.:rollhappy:

--Allen--

Occasionally I've had some first flowers on a spike come out with a petal for a dorsal sepal, but I've never had phili flowers with dorsal sepals instead of petals.

Since its not consistent with each growth, I'd cut off the weirdo's and let it try again.

This is also a weird time for phili's to be blooming.

I agree with Rick, odd time for blooming. Could be environmental stress. Cut out the weirdos. This is a odd time for this clone to bloom, right Dot?

those crippled flowers are just from some mechanical or spray damage. either way it wont do this again and will correct itself next time and look just like the great bloom youve got on the other spike

ps- philippinense's usually like to bloom when days are long and warm, or getting that way. so depending on where your located and your cultural conditions, I'd say anytime between march and september is "normal" in cultivation. In Hawaii they bloom around May/June.

I still love my 'chids, even when they are not perfect.
I like the bloom. Might make one look at it more than if it wasn't such. :)

ps- philippinense's usually like to bloom when days are long and warm, or getting that way. so depending on where your located and your cultural conditions, I'd say anytime between march and september is "normal" in cultivation. In Hawaii they bloom around May/June.

The days are indeed long and warm here right now. I saw the spike forming when the days were the hottest they've been this summer -- which has been relatively cool for Michigan. I have it among other multiflorals on the south side of the house where it gets morning sun (under shadecloth) and is shaded by the house after about 2:00 pm. I'm watering all my plants outdoors with our well water, which is high in calcium and fairly high in iron. But when it rains, they get rain water.

Rick, the last time it bloomed was 11-08.

My phillipinense has just flowered and it is winter here. Strange time for me. It was the third time it has flowered for me. Unlike previous flowerings the flowers were defomed and dehydrated looking. I just put it down to the time of year. I expect they will flower better next time as I am sure yours will.

The good flowers are really nice.

David

Latest posts

Back