Paph philippinense var. roebelenii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Had this plant since 1/06 but it has only flowered three times, last year one flower only! Hopefully as it gets bigger it will bloom more consistent. This philippinense is akin to the roebelenii type with petals pushing 8 inches. I'm looking for pollen for this plant of the roebelenii type. Does anyone have pollen?

p1060132.jpg

p1060125.jpg

closeup of the staminode. Roebelenii supposable doesn't have the characteristic green veins in the staminode. This plant doesn't look very green with the naked eye but by camera, a hint of it shows up.

p1060168t.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice long petals, and cool close-up!!! but is that green on the stami, compared to the green of the synsepal :) ? Jean

Nice long petals. I must be lucky with my roebellinii. It flowers consistently every year now wih a higher flower count. Unfortunately I don't have any pollen but I will keep some for you next flowering if you still need it.

David

I agree Jean...Looking at the flower with my glasses on I really don't see much green but with these crazy cameras there is a hint, maybe(?)!

Thanks David, I'll remind you if I need too:wink:

Beautiful! And I'm still waiting for mine to send up a spike. That will be an exciting day.

Unfortunately the last flower just dropped on mine Rick.

Pouch shape is supposed to be another characteristic with roebelinii having a pointed pouch (like yours) rather than a more rounded or square ended pouch.

I've only found one reference to the green on the staminode character.

How big is the span of this plant?

only 1 thing that would make it better -

more frequent blooming! :clap::clap: :drool::drool::drool:

Thanks all.
Rick,
The old growth is 20 inches this current growth is 18"NS. There are numerous smaller growths coming off of both.

I measured the petals by holding one out, 8.5 inches. They measured right at 8 inches in their natural state.

Had this plant since 1/06 but it has only flowered three times, last year one flower only! Hopefully as it gets bigger it will bloom more consistent. This philippinense is akin to the roebelenii type with petals pushing 8 inches. I'm looking for pollen for this plant of the roebelenii type. Does anyone have pollen?
Does mine qualify? I still have one flower, but I don't know how good the pollen is now.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19997&highlight=philippinense

Update

I had to revisit these flowers one more time. Not my best pictures but it does show the tight twisting they are doing! I had her in the house to pollinate a flower with 'Suzy'! THANK YOU WENDY!!!!
p1060249y.jpg

I counted 9 spirals for a eight inch petal!
p1060250t.jpg

A little better setting on the camera.
p1060245.jpg

Last edited:
Back