Paph. philippinense var. album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fairly high light in that I am in Florida and my orchids are outside on a lanai that is screen enclosed and has a fiberglass roof over the Pergola greenhouse. If I had to guess, The direct sunlight is filtered about 70% where I keep the higher light orchids such as philippinense. My roebelenii Bloomed with five flowers about two months ago as well.
1619040961428.jpeg

Great plant and great Job blooming it so nice for the first time!
Mine is such a dwarf compared to yours.

Very nice! Hoping mine will bloom this year. Compared with my regular roebelinii’s, my plant has yellowing leaves. Started treating it with epsom (1 tsp/gallon) weekly as I read was recommended, and moving it farther in from my east window. I wonder if albums are less tolerant of higher light levels?

I recently took the large-plant form of philippinense alba and the small-plant form of philippinense alba to a judging.

Had a pillar of the growing and judging communities say out loud that they are the exact same plant, just different conditions.

Never mind that I got them from 2 different sources and have grown them side-by-side for the past 25 years...

I note that there are red dots on the petals near the base of the dorsal. It is not a pure albino type of philippinese but is classified as semi-album in my opinion. However, all philippinese “album” have the same problem and cannot be used as an albino type parent for breeding. laevigatum album is selected as an alternative for such purpose instead.

I note that there are red dots on the petals near the base of the dorsal. It is not a pure albino type of philippinese but is classified as semi-album in my opinion. However, all philippinese “album” have the same problem and cannot be used as an albino type parent for breeding. laevigatum album is selected as an alternative for such purpose instead.
Good observations! I missed that.

Latest posts

Back