Paph philippinense 'Jona'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polyantha

Reaction score
I bought this plant five or six years ago. It was almost dead and heavily neglected. It recovered and bloomed with three flowers two years ago, now with four flowers. The plant itself is pretty big for philippinense: The leaves are 40cm (15.8in) long.

philippinense_Jona_st3_zps6a00c539.jpg~original

philippinense_Jona_st1_zps05fcb9b0.jpg~original

Interesting to see how different the petal angle is compared to the last blooming:

paph_st_zpsd99609df.jpg~original

Highly desirable clone! Great twisting and I would even go so far as to say you had tighter twists on the first blooming. What are your thoughts? I have a clone that had different amounts of twist from bloom to bloom.

WOW. That is a great clone. Above average for sure. Love the twisting petals. The plant looks to have recovered well.

You certainly are growing it very well. Interesting to see the two bloomings displayed together. What do you think has caused the petal stance change, have you changed the cultural conditions?
Lots of red in this clone, very desirable!

Highly desirable clone! Great twisting and I would even go so far as to say you had tighter twists on the first blooming. What are your thoughts? I have a clone that had different amounts of twist from bloom to bloom.

Thank you! Yes you are right, the petals were more twisted last time. But I know now that the plant has the potential to get even better flowers next time with more twists and multiple spikes when I grow it in a clump.

You certainly are growing it very well. Interesting to see the two bloomings displayed together. What do you think has caused the petal stance change, have you changed the cultural conditions?
Lots of red in this clone, very desirable!

Thx! I changed some things since then: More light, higher temperature and a little bit less fertilizer. But I don´t know which one of those factors influenced the blooming. If I remember right I made the pictures one week before withering the last time. So perhaps the petals will twist some more. But I will cut them today to pollinate with my other phili. Perhaps I will make a selfing because my other plant is not as good as this clone. What do you think? :confused:

Magnificent plant! I'm glad it made the recovery. Also, I kind of like the more droopy petal stance; like it's not trying too hard to impress me.

Latest posts

Back