Paph PEOY Progress

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dustywoman

The title almost sounds like "Pilgrim's Progress."

This is the original post. Rather than adding to it, I just thought I'd link it for comparison purposes.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3015

This photo was taken today. The second bud has opened, and the third is on its way. I was hoping for longer petals with twists, but it looks like this plant is favoring the roth parent. Don't get me wrong; I still like this alot. I'm just wondering whether the petals could still elongate and/or might upon the next blooming.

DSCN9948.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I'd put my money on a roth dominated PEOY. The peduncle is white, indicating sanderianum. The pouch is allllllllll roth, though.

It's definitely interesting, for sure!!! I do like it. I like the husky and wide petal stance and the wonderful nutty coloration of the pouch. I also love the stark and sharp edges of the profile of the pouch. I also would not mind it looking like Screaming Eagle, as that is also on my endless *list.*

I hate to advertise my ignorance, *or lack of energy to look it up in a book*
but what is a peduncle?

As an aside note: I had to be somewhere today for an appointment and it was close to a greenhouse where I was told that there was a huge old sanderianum in residence. Well, it was not in bloom. (I think I would have seen it and passed out if I did.) None of the paphs (some phrags) were on sale. I knew that to start with. I was told that the sanderianum died.

I'm not quite sure whether to believe that.

It's a mystery.

Oops, I should've said pedicel and not peduncle. The peduncle is the long flowering stem. The pedicel is what will eventually for the seed pod; the stalk connecting the flower to the main stem.

Ahh! Thanks! I will try to get a photo of that. You are right on. This pedicel is white (or a light green).

Has anyone seen a sanderianum in real life (IRL) outside of photos??? I would love to see one. I've given up hopes of owning one as I've already killed a little seedling.

I love that one, I have my eye on a PEOY too, the petal stance is lovely. Don't give up on sanderianum seedlings, I've heard from a grower around here that once they reach 'critical mass' they grow more quickly, especially the newer crosses. I have Dragontale, Sander's Pride, Angelina Kruger and Angel Hair. The Dragontale has doubled it's size since I bought it last October. The AK, which I bought at the same time, has tripled it's size. To early to tell with the SP and AH since I just got them.

Hmmmm....I would be tempted to try another sanderianum again. I just received a Carter & Holmes catalog in the mail and they are selling 2.5" pots for $45 and 3.5" pots for $70. A 3.5" pot sounds tempting to me. I'm just wondering whether that is a reasonable price.

Their sanderianum crosses are:

'Nature's Glory' x 'Dark Beauty'
'Raven Cliff Falls' x 'Nature's Glory'
and
'Dark Beauty' x 'Newberry Tresses'

Are any of these the newer (faster growing) varieties?

Thanks!

dustywoman said:
Has anyone seen a sanderianum in real life (IRL) outside of photos??? I would love to see one. I've given up hopes of owning one as I've already killed a little seedling.

WOW! That's a good question! Before I joined this forum I was never really into Paphs so I might have ignored it. If there's one at the GNYOS show I'll get EOrchids to photo it! Sometimes OrchidsTN has nice sized ones on eBay..

NYEric said:
WOW! That's a good question! Before I joined this forum I was never really into Paphs so I might have ignored it. If there's one at the GNYOS show I'll get eOrchids to photo it! Sometimes OrchidsTN has nice sized ones on eBay..

What? Get me? What happen to the other candidates that are going to be there? :)

I'll definately take a couple of pics, IF they have one, NYEric! ;)

Those crosses sound nice! I don't know enough about the topic to make an educated guess on growth rate, but I'd go for it. I don't know about pricing in the US, but I got mine from Clouds here in Ontario for around $20 to $35 for small single seedling. The Angel Hair and Dragontale were $35 and $30 for smaller seedlings who may still a few years to flower. I would think that depends on growth rate and cultural habits. Maybe there's a few experts around here who can shed some light.

I'm hoping to get down to the GYNOS show either on 4/21 or 4/22. If so, I'll take photos, too. I heard that it's crazy on the 22nd as it's closing day and people are looking for bargains.........

Is it worth fighting the crowds???

Thanks!

dustywoman said:
I'm hoping to get down to the GYNOS show either on 4/21 or 4/22. If so, I'll take photos, too. I heard that it's crazy on the 22nd as it's closing day and people are looking for bargains.........

Is it worth fighting the crowds???

Thanks!

any orchid is worth fighting the crowds. :D

Latest posts

Back