Paph. parnatanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.K.Hansen

Reaction score
My parnatanum is in bloom again. Two flowers.

51647710343_28a1c79880_c.jpg

Very nice and rare flower. Congrats to grow and flower it.
On the first sight I was slightly sceptical about its identity because it looks pretty diferently to this Paph. parnatanum, which seems to but be the base for the description but the more photos I saw in the net the more resamble they to your flower.
I'd say a lot closer to wardii........................

This is what I'd say, too.

Last edited:
Leslie, have a look at all those Paph. parnatanum. They all have a veined pouch and even if not all might be true species they veined pouch remains.
Thanks Rudolf.

To clarify. My statement was not the fact the vein pouch was doubtful of its species status.... rather I was curious on the contribution of its veiny pouch to making veiny pouched hybrids (as in the case of venustums).

To me this looks like a natural hybrid or a population with significant gene introgression. (wardii x venustum) or (suhkakulii x venustum). The resemblance to wardii or suhkakulii is much stronger than the resemblance to venustum.

Whether a natural hybrid or a natural species, I don't know.

To me this looks like a natural hybrid or a population with significant gene introgression. (wardii x venustum) or (suhkakulii x venustum). The resemblance to wardii or suhkakulii is much stronger than the resemblance to venustum.

Whether a natural hybrid or a natural species, I don't know.
There are no natural hybrids of venustum with those two other species. Wardii is separated by geographical terrains of mountains and sukhakulii is in Thailand (far from NE India states and Bhutan). This was discovered in my venustum research.

Very nice Per, Not often seen!

If i remember correct its Origin are Philippines, so gar away from the distribution from venustum...

Per i have also one in flower. Are you intrested in exchange Pollen to propagate this species.

Very nice Per, Not often seen!

If i remember correct its Origin are Philippines, so gar away from the distribution from venustum...

Per i have also one in flower. Are you intrested in exchange Pollen to propagate this species.
If I can figure out how to do it, I can send the pollen to you.
Never done that before though.

I would love to get hold of this plant as it's no where to be found in the Phils anymore...One day I can bring one back there...

Wonderful you’ve been able to keep these plants going esp if they’re no longer around in the wild. Hopefully seedlings can be made available here in North America too.

Latest posts

Back