Paph parishii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
After years of trying and failing, I have finally managed to flower a parishii. First flowering seedling from Iweyshan in Taiwan. It did have 6 buds but the last bud aborted, no doubt from the extreme heat at the time the buds were developing.

parishii%202019%202%20com.jpg

parishii%202019%20com.jpg

your beautiful flowers remind my old dream of getting this species when I started this hobby.....

Such a wonderful display. What did you discover about growing and blooming this species over your years of trying?
I purchased a parshii seedling almost 5 years ago. It is growing well, but slowly.

Such a wonderful display. What did you discover about growing and blooming this species over your years of trying?
I purchased a parshii seedling almost 5 years ago. It is growing well, but slowly.
Wonderful!! Great job growing it. Did you change any conditions to get it to flower this year?

Not really. My problem has been keeping this species alive. I haven't been growing this plant for 20 years. I have killed a quite a few. This is the first one I have been able to grow onto flowering. I got it in 2015 as a NFS plant. It had been brought in through quarantine so had to be fumigated. Plants that are fumigated always take a long time to recover. So it has grown slowly. I have grown this plant in a basket for the last few years. Since it flowered the plant has gone alittle bit backwards. The new growth rotted and the leaves weren't looking great. I have repotted it and seems to be looking OK now. I have one other mature plant from the same cross that is looking well that is yet to flower.

Well done! One of my favourite species! My final probationary paper will be on this species in 1 year or so.

I have about 12 mature (some multigrowth) plants of this species that hopefully will put on a nice display in June/July this year.

Look forward to seeing all photos of those in flower.

Last edited:
good job, David.
I think every one I've tried is dead (and the one that survived was a hybrid!)

A similar experience for many. I have killed my share. You don't see it around much. But then old growers talk of seeing large specimen plants of this species in the past. I have never seen one.

Not really. My problem has been keeping this species alive. I haven't been growing this plant for 20 years. I have killed a quite a few. This is the first one I have been able to grow onto flowering. I got it in 2015 as a NFS plant. It had been brought in through quarantine so had to be fumigated. Plants that are fumigated always take a long time to recover. So it has grown slowly. I have grown this plant in a basket for the last few years. Since it flowered the plant has gone alittle bit backwards. The new growth rotted and the leaves weren't looking great. I have repotted it and seems to be looking OK now. I have one other mature plant from the same cross that is looking well that is yet to flower.

This seems to be a more challenging species. Your patience definitely paid off! I haven't tried a basket for this one but its a good idea. I killed one and bought another one in bud last summer thats still doing well. Similar breeding from Sam, although I can't recall the parents. The new growth is strong, but I need to check on the roots soon.

parishii01web.jpg parishii02web.jpg

Here are two pics of the first parishii I ever bloomed (in 2010!). I fell in love at first sight. It is a division from Orchid Inn called parishii 'Jeannie' AM/AOS (probably the best of the species that I have ever seen IMHO).

Incredible blooms on Jeanie! It is a sight to behold, for sure. Have you ever tried breeding with it? I've found mine to be very self-fertile. I set 5 x self pods out of the 6 blooms I had this summer. Seed pods are just dehiscing now. I've heard they're not easy to germinate, but I'm going to try on a couple types of media

Excellent parishiis everyone, especially yours, David since you started the thread! I hope it pulls through for you. I found the basket culture to be the best although not prefect (so far) for me. I do have one that I've been growing 20 +/- years and it has bloomed but currently a single fan:rolleyes:

Those two parishii's from Dan and Dr Leslie are absolutely outstanding. Certainly a step up from mine. I can see why Sam breeds so much with the Jeannie clone.

This seems to be a more challenging species. Your patience definitely paid off! I haven't tried a basket for this one but its a good idea. I killed one and bought another one in bud last summer thats still doing well. Similar breeding from Sam, although I can't recall the parents. The new growth is strong, but I need to check on the roots soon.

View attachment 17891 View attachment 17892

Incredible blooms on Jeanie! It is a sight to behold, for sure. Have you ever tried breeding with it? I've found mine to be very self-fertile. I set 5 x self pods out of the 6 blooms I had this summer. Seed pods are just dehiscing now. I've heard they're not easy to germinate, but I'm going to try on a couple types of media
You’re just going to...start some orchid seeds?

You’re just going to...start some orchid seeds?

I've been flasking for a while, with varying success. Attached is a recent attempt. I find dendrobium much more predictable (or at least more willing to germinate).

I just sowed some parishii selfing seeds last week on 1/2 M&S with 50ml/L coconut water. I presoaked the seeds in coconut water as well, just to see if it may have any effect

Attachments

• 20200114_185849.jpg
    20200114_185849.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200115_001255.jpg
    20200115_001255.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 7
Back