Paph. parishii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

Currently about half of the blooms are open, as you can see. Unfortunately, I've been growing this plant under MH lights this year, and the dorsals are all turned in the direction of the light. I've moved the plant so that the rest of them might be more symetrical as they open.

Only 6 blooms on the spike this year; the plant carried 8 last year, but this time the plant has two spikes (and I made the plant carry two seedpods for most of the past year). Anyway, it's not the greatest blooming for this plant, but I love this species sooooo much, I don't really care :)

I'll post more pics (and a 3D) as this opens more.

paph-parishii07a.jpg

Hope you like it :)

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Beautiful flowers Matt.....and it is nice to hear your critique and learn something too. I grow under lights as well, so will be more aware of issues with spiking plants.

Hallo Matt,

only 6 blooms on the spike this year - you should be lucky about these beautiful flowers and the mentioned second spike. :)
I'm still waiting for years for the first blooms of any of my multifloral Paphs. Eventually the waiting will be rewarded this year but I won't say it too loud.
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Beautiful one there. soon I'll have one eventually, once I see it for sale, either this one or dianthum.

What do you mean when the dorsals turned towards the light. Is it that the dorsals curled backwards or lean to forward? Which direction should the light have been? I didn't know dorsals responded to light, now that I know maybe it will help me get the perfect blooms

Thanks everyone.

Eric, they're not huge... the blooms are about 6" from top to bottom (dorsal sepal to petal tips).

Smartie, I also like dianthum, but I really prefer the colors in parishii. In this case, the spike was growing towards the light, so the blooms were facing 90 degrees from the light, and turned (Left, in the photo) to face it. I haven't noticed this effect on very many species... but it's very strong in parishii and dianthum, and I've noticed it to a lesser degree in haynaldianum.

In order to keep this from happening, I should have a) turned the pot daily b) grown with a light mover for the MH lamp that its near, or c) grown in an area of a greenhouse where the movement of the sun would do the same work. Or, I suppose I could have just made the blooms face the light...

Anyway, the second spike is on a very small growth, and only has 3 buds, so I'm going to just remove it, rather than add more stress to the plant.

- Matt

Hmmm, seed pods you say? :drool: ...I really want to get one/several of these when I can afford it!

Yes, I got surprisingly good germination with the seed (and quickly!) but then I had some problems with brown-out in the motherflask, and then LOTS of contamination in the replates. I think I've figured out the contamination problem, so perhaps this year I'll have better results.

- Matt

I love parishii......I wish it wasn't so slow! I used to have one that bloomed easily enough when it was ready....unfortunately, all I have now is a decent sized seedling, and these guys don't reach blooming size as quickly as their cousins haynaldianum and lowii...but they do like pretty low light for a multifloral. Take care, Eric

If it does, Rick, I always love to trade pollen :) I have another, awarded parishii that I'm hoping will spike this year, but so far, no sign of buds :(

BTW- You're right, Eric, that they're slow to mature, but once they do mature, they grow pretty quickly. Mine pretty reliably puts out a few new growths every year, and they seem to mature in just one year, unlike my roths and stonei, that still seem to take two.

- Matt

Latest posts

Back