Paph parishii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nice, good save.
I have 3 I am nursing back from the brink. They might make it. K-Lite seems to be helping.

Good growing.

With luck maybe it will return to its original state. The glory days of a seven flowered plant on a two foot spike coming out of a 30 inch plus or minus leaf span of a 3 growths!
Ahh.. those were the days:)

Last edited:
Great photographs! What would you say are the differences in cultural requirements between dianthum and parishii? I killed my parishii, but still have a few dianthums. They are not doing great, but are hanging in there.

I love parishii - it is my favourite paph I think. Well done on getting yours to bloom and it is a beauty too!

Can't see the photo's

Me neither:(

Parishii kind of disappeared from access about the time I started to get interested in them. I was able to access a few just before I started with low K. They were moved to baskets several months before reducing K and looked like they were getting some reprieve, but ultimately started to go downhill again, and lost a couple after blooming.

This has always purported to be a big plant, but these bloomed and died with no more than a 12 to 14 inch leaf span. Then once I went to low K, the last survivor ( that hadn't bloomed) grew like a weed. Over the last year it has attained about a 2' leaf span and a new growth. Roots are poking out of the side of the basket. I'm looking forward to blooms (its one of Sam's 'Jeanie' clones), but with all the growth I can't help but feel that this species is easily inhibited by high feed rates and high K.

I've never found parishii to be a large plant. I've bloomed them in the past, with never more than a 12" spread. In fact, i've never had one with more than a 12" spread.

I've never found parishii to be a large plant. I've bloomed them in the past, with never more than a 12" spread. In fact, i've never had one with more than a 12" spread.

I was beginning to think that some folks just had big clones, and some had small. Cribb's description has them with "leaves up to 45cm" (that's individual leaves 18"), Birk has them listed as a "large" species. But take the K off of them, and they get big! Mine has got as big as any of my other big multi's, and is now bigger than any of my lowiis have ever been. I feel pretty bad about the ones I stunted and lost by overfeeding.:eek:

PICs are back. I had problems uploading with PBucket, double and triple pics of each! I clean up the pics but the one I deleted apparently where the ones I used in the post.:eek:
As for size. Most parishiis I came across in collections and award postings in the 90's were in fact, small except for this plant. It was up to 24-30 inches across, 7 or 8 growths with 6 to 8 flowers when I got it to bloom. Then I divided it! My piece died back to one old growth from rot. Finally, the old growth threw out 7 tiny starts! For years I nursed them and lost them all but this one. Finally two major events came along, Orchiata and a drastic change up of my watering/fertilizing scheme. You all know the rest of the story.

One thing I did do was to add Styrofoam peanuts to the bottom of the pot, which I thought was a mistake after 8-10 months. I knocked the plant out of the pot to discover roots going all through the peanuts. So it wasn't a mistake after all.
I have a couple of collected dianathums and two line bred ones; small pots, mix medium/open with higher light and more air then parishii. I have them next to all of my roths. The parishiis are on the second bench down next to my Maudiae type of plants. Same mix but a tiny bit of sphagnum on the top of the mix. I'm planning a more towards the baskets with both species soon.

Back