Paph Papyrus 'Maybrook'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
Here is an oldie, but a goodie, Paph. Papyrus 'Maybrook'. I received this as a gift way back in 1983. Papyrus has survived the ups and downs of several moves, and years of episodes of neglect and bad culture. It has finally recovered from being divided down to one growth divisions with no roots. A condition that many Paphs would not have recovered from. This blooming is not its best for flower size or form, but the color is more intense than some bloomings. It has bloomed much flatter when the plant was beefier. I won't be dividing it down anytime soon, as this one growth division is the only one left in my collection. It is a compact growing Paph, 3 or 4 growths will fit in a 3.5 inch x 4 inch deep pot. The leaf span seldon exceeds 12 inches leaf tip to leaf tip. Too big to be called a teacup Paph, but smaller than most complex bulldog type hybrids.

Papyrus is (charlesworthii x Earl of Tankerville) a cross registered in 1923 by Mrs. Gratrix. The clone 'Maybrook' came from the Wright collection via the Bealles' Orchids, Vashon, WA. Most likely this is a survivor from the original grex. It might be the only survivor from that grex. The Wrights were very good about spreading around divisions of their better Paphs, and many people have divisions of this clone. Keep an eye out for it. A nice example of what a charleworthii x complex bulldog type can give you.

The colors are not a dull as in the room light photo, and not as bright as in the flash photo. It is a lovely soft color, not overly flashy, not too muddy.
Enjoy

room light - please ignore the dog hair stuck to the edge of the dorsal ;)
Papyrus-Maybrook-Nov2010a.jpg

Papyrus-Maybrook-Nov2010b.jpg

Thanks, Leo, for sharing information on a wonderful old complex. I was lucky enough to acquire the 'Maybrook' cultivar from the collection of Wharton Sinkler. It didn't do well for me at first, but seems to be making a comeback.

One other cultivar I am aware of is Paph Papyrus 'Model'. Oddly, I got this one from Hoosier orchids when they were still in business.

.... <snip> One other cultivar I am aware of is Paph Papyrus 'Model'. Oddly, I got this one from Hoosier orchids when they were still in business.

Ross, please post a picture when it blooms, it would be interesting to compare the two clones.

That is quite nice, very similar to a 'good' blooming of Papyrus 'Maybrook', but definitely a little different. Have you thought of breeding with either? I haven't tried, but that may be more due to a lack of imagination. :)

That is quite nice, very similar to a 'good' blooming of Papyrus 'Maybrook', but definitely a little different. Have you thought of breeding with either? I haven't tried, but that may be more due to a lack of imagination. :)

I tried one "far out" cross that not surprisingly failed to take. Since then, I've been stuggling to keep the plants healthy. Both are looking better, now and are in bud. I'll probably try something a little more conventional to see if they breed at all.

Latest posts

Back