Paph papuanum "alboviride" (*)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirGo

having a soft spot for albino slipper species
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(*) EDIT May 27th
I started this posting as Paph. papuanum fma. alexejanum.
I am very grateful for the feedback I received from Olaf Gruß that this form name is only used for the paler color form of papuanum. For the albino color form (without any red pigment) there is no official name. I decided to change the title and give it a only "cultivar" level name "alboviride". I am certain this again is not taxonomically 100% correct but at least it better reflects the flower I have. Thanks to all who contributed to my posting !!

(first flowering - albino form & species name still to be confirmed)

I could not join the popular "guess the spike" game after already anouncing it in my April posting, but I wanted to give you all an update. The seedling took ages to mature and the flower now also takes it's time to open. With my room temperatures rising, the opening is now going faster, but also the risk of blasting due to drier air is higher. I will update you again if it reveals it's flower fully, but this one really stretches my patience.

Hope you like it

Papuanum waiting.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, my... can't wait! 🤞 Where do you grow it, Dirk...in a safe or in the nearest bank box? 😉

I unfortunately missed out on the April announcement, so wonder, whether you might be persuaded to divulge, whence you got it?!

With 25 °C in the living room today it is finally speeding up. This is how it looks today.
I don't know why my (evening? mobile?) pictures always look like there is a pinkish hue on the petals, but it has absolutely no red pigments and is certainly albino. I got it early 2020 as a 7.5cm seedling from Boscha. I am not going to self it this year as this young plant needs to save it's energy for a new fan. Once the flower has set its final curves, I will cut the flower as well.

As far as I can deduct, it seems to confirm form and species name. Very happy with it anyhow.

Papuanum may 24.jpg

Now I regret that I didn't buy one at the time! Very nice and congrats for flowering it!

I am looking for further details on the color form name "alexejanum" that I have been using in the title of my posting but all I could find in my books and on internet is that this name was used to describe a paler color form and not for the albino form. Maybe I need to change the name and call it forma alboviride as possibly the undescribed form (nomen nudum). If anyone has better information on this, please feel free to share...

Kudos Dirk to grow and flower this extremely rare album form of Paph. papuanum. 👌
I am looking for further details on the color form name "alexejanum" that I have been using in the title of my posting but all I could find in my books and on internet is that this name was used to describe a paler color form and not for the albino form. Maybe I need to change the name and call it forma alboviride as possibly the undescribed form (nomen nudum). If anyone has better information on this, please feel free to share...
Can't contribute much to verify the name... the only thing I found is, that KEW Science considers the name Paphiopedilum papuanum f. alexejianum as a synonym.

Afaik, alexejanum was used for the Semialbum Form. The Album Form was Just called album. I remember that i have read about it in an orchid Magazine, but cant remember which it was.

You are right. It was named in honour for Alexej Popow. Many years we were waiting for an albine form of papuanum, but never found. Then after many years on plant came in flower, which was really very different in coloration and looks like a semialbum form. So we decided to describe it becaus we had no hope to find a true albine form. 6 months later Boscha Popow got a true albine form. So it seems that it would be better to wait longer, also when the forma alejanum is an interesting addition to the species.

Hey guys, I love the idea, but sacrifying the plant is no option. For now, let's just enjoy the pictures. I will do my best to grow and reflower it. Hopefully next round it will be strong enough to self and we can produce more offspring for all of us to enjoy.

Back