Paph. Pandion (venustum x fairrieanum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
This isn't an award winner, but it's an easy grower and bloomer. I've had it for 3-4 years. It's a primary cross of venustum aureum x fairrieanum and it's growing happily in semi hydro in the g.h. The venustum pouch carries through. Some people like that and some hate it, I fall in the like it group.

Pandion.jpg

Only for you Eric. It looks like snakeskin patterning to me. And before anyone says, "I thought you only recommended hydroton for phrags and not paphs." I do. I only have maybe 5 paphs left in hydroton. They do much better in the Old primeagra. This one is such an easy grower though, I haven't wanted to mess with a good thing.
Pandionfoliage.jpg

That's terrible you should send it to me! :D No, really that's a very diff and cool leaf pattern and I would love to have one. Can you post the vendor? All I can see is "THE ORCHID.."

I bought it from a vendor at the Sonoma Orchid Society annual show about 4 years ago. She used to be the main paph vendor there. Unfortunately due to health reasons, she's not doing shows anymore and has no website. I haven't been to their show since she got out of the business as she was the main reason I went. Great lady and great plants. She ran the Orchid Bench in Fort Bragg, CA.

I like the pouch. I have been eying the album (sp?) form of the venustum as I think it really accents the pouch veining.

I'm with you Corbin! I have an album venustum for that reason! I think this one shows more venustum influence but who know's in another few weeks when my fairrieanum album is in bloom, I might change my mind!

Pretty flower! :D I got one recently from Zephyrus, made with alba parents. I cant wait to see it grow and bloom after seeing how nice yours is! :clap:

Only for you Eric. It looks like snakeskin patterning to me. And before anyone says, "I thought you only recommended hydroton for phrags and not paphs." I do. I only have maybe 5 paphs left in hydroton. They do much better in the Old primeagra. This one is such an easy grower though, I haven't wanted to mess with a good thing.
Pandionfoliage.jpg
-The leaves are very attractive.
-Hydroton does not leach as much salt as some other stuff, but it still leaches out some.

Hydroton does not leach as much salt as some other stuff, but it still leaches out some.
Salt build up or leaching isn't a problem for me with any of the leca. Hydroton stays dry at the top and that isn't necessarily a good thing for small developing paph roots.

Salt build up or leaching isn't a problem for me with any of the leca. Hydroton stays dry at the top and that isn't necessarily a good thing for small developing paph roots.

Candace, you maybe on the money here, when you mention about the small roots.
I notice the thick root paph seems to do better than the thin roots in Hydroton.

This is interesting I think...an update on this plant. I've bloomed it several times in the g.h. where it gets cooler at night and it looks like this

Pandion.jpg

and it bloomed for me a few months back and I forgot to put it back in the g.h. so I've been growing it inside and warmer for the past 2-3 months. A spike developed and it looks like this...

Pandion2.jpg

Weird huh? It looks like a completely different plant!

In the March Orchids mag. pg.187 is the natural hybrid
(fairrieanum X venustum) Paphiopedilum x pradhanii. Witch I would like to make when my plants bloom next time. I sure think it would be interesting, I also have never done a cross yet, so I have a lot of research to do.
Wish me luck. Jim.

Latest posts

Back