Paph Orion 'Starfield'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a plant I got as a small division from Baker and Chantry a few years back when they were selling off their inventory. Paph Orion is a primary hybrid, (concolor x insigne), registered in 1893 by Veitch.

Does anyone know any further history of this particular cultivar? I would be surprised if it was a seedling from the original cross in 1893. So far, no hybrids have been registered with Orion as a parent.

PaphOrionStarfield.jpg

I like it. Better than I would have expected from that cross. A lot of the old primaries have been remade in the last 10 or 15 years. When novelties started getting popular again, primary hybrids started to get remade. I think a lot of people thought they were making new things and didn't realize until later that they were already named.

I'd hope that the new remakes would be better than the originals, and take advantage of 100+ years of line breeding in the species. That would be my logic in remaking an old cross. I've always wanted to remake Winston Churchill starting from the species - but that would take a long time and is impossible anyway, since some of the parents weren't registered.

Back