Paph. Orchilla "Chilton"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
An oldie but a goodie. Well used in hybridizing.

Paph_Orchilla_Chilton.jpg

SlipperFan said:
For a complex, that is quite nice, Rob.
You gonna breed with it???

It was registered in 1962 by Ratcliffe (Paeony x Redstart), and has 59 first generation offspring, 81 total progeny (according to orchidwiz). 'Chilton' got an FCC/AOS in 1973. I think this is the clone used most in hybridizing.

Anyway, yes, I probably will if I find the right mate. *grin*

Rob, I've got a huge plant of Paph. Orchilla 'Chilton' here that I got from Merrit Huntington in 1986. I think it had ten flowers this past season. Its always flowered well, but I've never figured out what to breed with it.

A question from someonw who doesn't know much about Paph breeding and doesn't have the softwares programs to go look it up.
What happens if you breed this to a multifloral? Does it just get run over? Or could it impart some of the fullness of its segments to the cross?

charlie c

Somebody has crossed it to sanderianum. Why I have no idea. Haven't seen the flowers though.

I don't know what happens when you cross a big complex to a multifloral... Not something I ever recall seeing.

Ed M said:
Rob, I've got a huge plant of Paph. Orchilla 'Chilton' here that I got from Merrit Huntington in 1986. I think it had ten flowers this past season. Its always flowered well, but I've never figured out what to breed with it.

Here's a couple of ideas I've been toying with:
1.Paph Sequin (Orchilla x sukhakulii) There's a link to a picture on this page:
http://translate.google.com/transla...27Omuro%27&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=G&as_qdr=all

2.Put this Paph (Impulse x leucochilum) onto Orchilla
PaphImpulsexleucochilum4-1.jpg

littlefrog said:
Somebody has crossed it to sanderianum. Why I have no idea. Haven't seen the flowers though.

I don't know what happens when you cross a big complex to a multifloral... Not something I ever recall seeing.

I think there is a link to (Orchilla x sanderianum) or something similar on Dr. Tanaka's website.

Latest posts

Back