Paph Norito Hasegawa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanthier

Reaction score
Hi All, Paph Norito Haswegawa is opening up and I just had to share.... One bloom open and awaiting the other (they will face opposite directions of course!!!). The first spike is 15 inches high (38cm) and the initial bloom is 4 inches wide (10cm). No scent at this point, but it can take a few days to develop. Gorgeous foliage makes with a 10/10 in my view... I'll update the thread as they develop further...

Attachments

• 20201223_214144.jpg
    20201223_214144.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20201223_214158.jpg
    20201223_214158.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201223_214218.jpg
    20201223_214218.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201223_214224.jpg
    20201223_214224.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 37
All: I posted this in a FB group and got this as one comment, I do not have the expertise to evaluate it, so appreciate your thoughts.

"

this is not Norito Hasagawa!
probably Fanaticum, or jackii x micranthum

"

What say you? Is it an NH or not?

If it's a self of a Norito Hasegawa then it could have varying amounts of the parent species so you could theoretically have anything from an almost pure malipoense to almost pure armeniacum.

If it was a first generation (or filial - F1) cross then you would expect an even 50:50 genetic proportion across all offspring.

Sorry, my point being if it was an F2 or further generation selfing it would be almost impossible to know if it was a 'pure' NH or a backcross.

Great flower but it doesnt look like any Norito Hasegawa or Fanaticum I've ever seen... admittedly I haven't seen them all though

Great flower but it doesnt look like any Norito Hasegawa or Fanaticum I've ever seen... admittedly I haven't seen them all though

To my eye it looks like Norito, with malipoense dominating... I will send an image to sthe ource to see what they think too. Will report back. While I would love a positive ID, I am happy with whatever it is :)!

Last edited:
It is a great flower for sure. Send photos and measurements to the Virtual Judging Group and see what they say. It’s a group that was started by a judge here in the northeast during COVID.
The link is:
[email protected]

No way it is a Fanaticum. The staminode shows no influence of micranthum. Fanactium x malipoense is a high posibility, but I have no reason not to believe this is NH just because it is very dark.
NH comes in many different colors. Most often bright yellow with or without varying amount & forms of dark pigments.
Mislabeling does occur every now and then. So, it is best to ask the vendor if they had Wilbur Chang (Fanaticum x malipoense) in the stock. You bought this not too long ago, so better ask now before too late. :)

Update sent photos back to the source, we shall see what he says.
What does tag say? Have you confirmed the cross with the seller or breeder? A comparison with other siblings may help.

I for one think that this could very well be a darker NH.

Tags says NH Doc, but it is handwritten...

Back