Paph noid "The Weed"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
I hope I'm not the first to post a noid here. Late last May I was at Wisley Gardens here in England and they had some P. callosum "Jac" on sale. I noticed that in one of the pots there were two "growths" that didn't look the same.
jacandtheweedbb2.jpg

The weed is the one with the bud. It turned out to be a true weed, my fastest growing paph, and to my disappointment it was not another vinicolor.
I didn't bin it, here is it's second flower. It has this annoying habit of holding it's petals forward.
paphtheweedv21ep8.jpg

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience.
Cheers,
Tim

Nice freebe. Looking at the pouch, petal tip color, and the leaves, I would not be surprised if it had some dayanum in it. Maybe dayanum x sukhakulii (on account of the spots), but if it is this, I could not tell you where the red in the dorsal came from. Great looking plant.

Yes Dot, they have been in separate pots since the first flower on the weed was finished. Also my Paph. callosum "Jac" (if that is not mislabelled?) is a much slower grower ... it's leaves are glossy and almost pale yellow green and warm olive green and thick ... more succulent than those of the weed.
Below is a pic of the callosum "Jac" I've previously posted on another forum together with two others ... they were all old flowers beginning to collapse.
The "Jac" is the one leaning over in the top left to get in the pic.
threepaphsxc3.jpg

I've seen an almost identical plant called "Black Jack".
The weed itself does have lovely leaves ... even better on the new growth and this is probably what saved it from the bin. I imagine that crossed with my hookerae the result would have gorgeous leaves ... don't know about the flower though and who would cross a noid out of curiousity over leaves?
Cheers,
Tim

To me your weed really looks like a hybrid from William Matthews (Maudiae x mastersianum) if the flower is really long lasting, that is possibly one parent. I have had a few seed pods split over the years, and every now and then I get a volunteer weed Paph sprouting somewhere it doesn't belong. If you enjoy it, grow it. But without a provenance, don't use it for breeding or judged shows. Funny, all my best dogs and some of my best plants were mutts of dubious parentage.

Leo Schordje said:
To me your weed really looks like a hybrid from William Matthews (Maudiae x mastersianum) if the flower is really long lasting, that is possibly one parent. I have had a few seed pods split over the years, and every now and then I get a volunteer weed Paph sprouting somewhere it doesn't belong. If you enjoy it, grow it. But without a provenance, don't use it for breeding or judged shows. Funny, all my best dogs and some of my best plants were mutts of dubious parentage.
Does this mean that you could just scatter your seeds on the pot and some will sprout?

Are you sure that's a true Jac? Its nice, but it looks more like a "Sparkling Burgundy" breeding line than a Jac which is different enough that some consider it a separate species, viniferum. As I recall, Jac resembled a warty, dark, version of the sublaeve version of callosom.....Take care, Eric

Eric, I have to agree with you even though I'm a novice at this. The plant I've seen as Paph. viniferum has totally different leaves for a start, not to mention the flower which is different in both form and colour.
Cheers,
Tim

Eric Muehlbauer said:
Are you sure that's a true Jac? Its nice, but it looks more like a "Sparkling Burgundy" breeding line than a Jac which is different enough that some consider it a separate species, viniferum. As I recall, Jac resembled a warty, dark, version of the sublaeve version of callosom.....Take care, Eric
Hello Eric,

you are absolutely right Tim's Paph looks really like a cross/breeding in the Paph. callosum 'Sparkling Burgundy' line than Paph viniferum 'Jac' ?:confused: 'Sparkling Burgundy' is a dark red coloured form of Paph. callosum. Shape, stance and the flower markings are callosum like.
JAC is an akronym for Just Another Callosum and 'Jac' is really distinct to Paph. callosum. P. callosum and 'Jac' differ in shape, stance, structur and colour patterns of the petals. The most distinct feature are the stance of the petals and dark prominent/raised spots on their frontside. The petals hang nearly down (angle between petals and the horizontal about 75-80 °). I've got a magazine with photos of 'Jac' but I won't get in trouble with the copy-right law so I don't scan it and show it here.
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back