Paph niveum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, winter lows are 50 F. That only last a week or two at the most. Watering is on the dry side. Even the summer months the plant drys between watering.
I'm trying a new potting setup, clay pot with clay hydroponic balls then sprinkling on pro-mix, about 1/3 of the pot. Water that in so the pro-mix settles into the top third of the pot. As you can imagine, it dries fairly quick. Currently water every second day.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mike, winter lows are 50 F. That only last a week or two at the most. Watering is on the dry side. Even the summer months the plant drys between watering.
I'm trying a new potting setup, clay pot with clay hydroponic balls then sprinkling on pro-mix, about 1/3 of the pot. Water that in so the pro-mix settles into the top third of the pot. As you can imagine, it dries fairly quick. Currently water every second day.

Wow! I'm surprized you let it get down to 50. I would be too nervous! How come it lasts only a week or two? Whatever you are doing seems to be giving results.
I read about your new potting technique before. It's similar to what they are doing in Thailand right? I may try a couple like that myself this year. Are you finding the roots are happier with this fine mix on top?

Wow! I'm surprized you let it get down to 50. I would be too nervous! How come it lasts only a week or two? Whatever you are doing seems to be giving results.
I read about your new potting technique before. It's similar to what they are doing in Thailand right? I may try a couple like that myself this year. Are you finding the roots are happier with this fine mix on top?
After visiting southern California and seeing they basically don't heat at all. I figured I was pampering mine too much. Winter only last two months at the most here, January, February. We had one day this past winter the temp got down to the freezing mark. I left armeniacum, villosum, dianthum, micranthum and esquirolei out all winter except for that one day and they're doing great. I posted the villosum aureum when it bloomed. All were in net baskets and they dried out pretty good before I watered again.

Only about 2 weeks in the months I mention does the temps get down in the low 40s. Most of the time winter temps are upper 40s low to mid 50s.

The only brachy so far that doesn't like this clay pot setup is bellatulum.

Ok Mike I took a few PICS of the godefroyae in and out of the clay pot. My tag has a potting date of 7/16/16 so not quite a year.
In the pot as of today:
Then it knocked out: a nice new root showing along with the old roots in great shape.
The last PIC: what was left in the pot after plant was removed.
Take note; not a lot of ProMix used in the pot overall.6e75b8d2281877f44bc5e6c3676d529a.jpg626286619f623adaf7f6bbbb7f1e14e2.jpgb4a8dde96654f8674b4b3762c270711a.jpg

Alright! I reversed photo storage on Photobucket. I opened my PB account, downloaded my recent images and the edited and re-posted into this thread.
It was a pain in the a$$ but possible to recovery my images that PB conveniently blocked and repost. I have nearly 2000 orchid pics in PB I can't do a thing with except store :mad:

Back