Paph niveum var. ang-thong

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your words seem to indicate to me that you don't think it is....

I have become prudent, too prudent perhaps, because I had aquired quite some plants where the tag was incorrect: that's the cause for the formulation :)!

I know Gerard Schmidt as a very conscious and competent professional, so I should consider this bloom as a niveum ang thong !! Jean

Interesting flower Jean. What are you thinking ? Hybrid? a varent of ang thong?

I do not feel competent enough to judge it! I only can refer to the infos already in this forum, on the net or in literature.
And I cannot compare to a niveum that bloomed in my gh, because the one I bloomed was no niveum, the newer ones not having bloomed yet.

some do consider it a natural hybrid: ex. => Chien05-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Wonderful shape, but I think ang-thong is a var. of godefroyae

?!?:eek:

Jean

Hi Jean,

sorry but that's pure P. niveum at least in my eyes.
I quote H. Koopowitz: "The staminode of P. niveum is usually as wide as the base of the pouch and thus can be used to tell pure P. niveum apart from Paph x ang-thong or hybrid plants where the staminode is sustantially norrower."

It has more of that "thaianun" look to me Jean. Is this a possibility?
No P. thaianum, that's rather different from this flower.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

I think the angle of the photo is causing some confusion. It it were taken straight-on, it would likely look more normal.

Hi Jean,

sorry but that's pure P. niveum at least in my eyes.
I quote H. Koopowitz: "The staminode of P. niveum is usually as wide as the base of the pouch and thus can be used to tell pure P. niveum apart from Paph x ang-thong or hybrid plants where the staminode is sustantially norrower."

No P. thaianum, that's rather different from this flower.

Thanks Rudolf!!! I am not sorry if it is a niveum :):)! I have read and reread this statement of Koop., but could not interprete the meaning of 'base':eek:. Does he mean the upper part (opening of the pouch; that would match), or the lower part, that is of course much narrower?

Dot, Tom: I will try to get another pic from a diff. angle, and not 'work' to much with the imaging SW!!! Jean

...but could not interprete the meaning of 'base':eek:. Does he mean the upper part (opening of the pouch; that would match), or the lower part, that is of course much narrower?

Jean, I would interpret 'base' as the part of the pouch where it hits the ground of the bloom. But in both cases, upper or lower part of the pouch, is the staminode of your plant either as wide or wider than the pouch, not narrower.

here is another pic from a slightly different angle! Jean
( I definitely have a lot of problems when shooting at a white bloom, I have to work 'somewhat' in the imaging program conc. color/contrast)

Back