Paph niveum frm. album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to store the yellow pollen out of capsule in a paper towel, but that dried the pollen mass. So I was advised (by paph breeders) to store in a wax paper, folded and stored in plastic envelope or baggy. Then label name/date, and store in bottle into the chiller veggie section of fridge (not freezer). Not sure how long pollen is viable but I have stored pollen that are 10 years old lol. Most say it’s best to use in a 3-6 month period.
sorry this is off topic - do you not use silica at all then?
would they not go mouldy if the water isn't removed?

Flower is finally opened fully! Very oblong shape compare to the trapezoid of the godefroyae album. The colour is also porcelain white compare to the creamy yellow white of godefroyae. The staminodes have different colour veinings too. Yellow on niveum and green on the godefroyae.

F93A2A83-B467-499D-8EC7-E822D0E3B12C.jpeg 83259E13-DE59-430B-9D7C-7EA19CFFB7B3.jpeg FBD655BE-D9D5-495B-9F82-D9FF5FE8551B.jpeg 7CA66818-9210-4304-AD68-F6754E709A7A.jpeg

Nice flower Leslie. Compared to mine it is more wider.
I think very soon there will be the execution of wedding night.
Thanks Rudolf.

The combination of your round shape and the width of mine, there might be some babies that are round and big!

I will pollinate the flower this weekend if all works well.

Thanks Rudolf.
Your niveum obviously turned out great! Good luck with the pollination. When you get the seedlings out of flask I hope you have "an embarrassment of riches."
The combination of your round shape and the width of mine, there might be some babies that are round and big!

Thanks Rudolf.

If this takes, and germination is sufficient ...are you taking names for flasks? :)

If this takes, and germination is sufficient ...are you taking names for flasks? :)
Fingers crossed that the mating will be fruitful. And if seeds are produced and germinate, I will discuss with Guru how to proceed with the progeny. As I am in Canada, and my flasker is here, I may need to send some seeds down to my US flasker (and possibly Europe back to pollen donor) so that they can be distributed from there.

I’m happy to report the pod matures in 9 months and seeds have been sent to Europe, US, New Zealand and Brazil. Thanks Guru.

If there are extra flasks, I will let people know if they are interested. That is of course, if there is germination lol.

Latest posts

Back