Paph nigritum 'Dyak Warrior'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Not often seen. Posting early while the flower is pristine! Over the next week the dorsal will reflex. Still looks good and add an updated pic then.
20190324-082411.jpg
20190324-082430.jpg

You know, I don't know for sure but I think there has only been this clone ever found. I'm not even sure what part of the world it comes from.
I do know it's been around for a very long time.

Nice and interesting flower - and very well grown plant!

The whole concept of P. barbatum var. nigritum seems a bit confused...but Braem mentions that the type specimen of the plant, published by Reicbenbach fil. as Cypripedium nigritum, has been found to match the type of P. barbatum and thus is considered to be synonymous. As I understand it, P. barbatum var. nigritum is now only used as a horticultural epithet or in trade to describe a darker coloured form of P. barbatum - and thus not, botanically, treated as a separate taxonomic entity.

In P. barbatum, again according to Braem, only the superior margin of the petals are "ornamented with small, near-black maroon spots" - and the margins of the petals are ciliate (whether this is the case with your flower, is a bit difficult to ascertain due to the background). And it might seem doubtfull, whether the staminode shield of your flower does match Braems description, too: "The staminodal shield is horseshoeshaped ... The apex shows lateral, falcate, acute teeth and at the centre of the apical margin there is a third, much smaller tooth"?

Might that gorgeous, bronze hued flower have a hybridic background?

Kind regards,
Jens

This is Nothing more than a Paph. barbatum. Here the description written by Reichenbach f.1882 in the Gardeners' Chronicle Cypripedium nigritum Rchb f Gard Chron. ns 18 - 102 (1882).jpg Cypripedium nigritum Rchb f Gard Chron. ns 18 - 102 (1882).jpg

And here a Sketch of the nigritum, found in the Herbarium in Vienna:Cypripedium nigritum Rchb f Gard Chron. ns 18 - 102 (1882).jpg Paphiopedilum nigritum Reichenbach Herbarium Farbzeichnung 36839.jpg
Most of the plants labeled as nigritum were barbatum, sometimes also lawrenceanum. This here is clear, a barbatum.

Best greetings
Olaf

Maybe so Olaf but this clone has marginal spots on both upper and lower petals plus many tiny spots in the middle of both, starting at the staminode and stopping half way down. I will try to take more detailed pics on my day off this week.
It reminds me of a javanicum but with different colors. Its NS is 4.25 inches

Whatever it's supposed to be, it's very nice. I especially like the bronze flush to the petals. We had a division of this clone from the Clement's Collection, but lost it in the move from Hausermann's.

Def. NOT barbatum; staminode and other floral characteristics wrong. Right, however, for a hybrid.

Back