Paph. Mount Toro x gardineri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
So, one of the newbies decided to flower all of a sudden, which means I have flowered my second multi now, and I'm wondering why I didn't start out with these much easier hybrids in the beginning.

It's not spectacular in any way, except that it looks drunk or something. I do like those dark, and twisted petals though, otherwise it's a pretty generic multi Paph. hybrid. The most important thing, however, is that it's flowering! That makes it a keeper per definition. :D

I tried out my new camera again, and put in a lot of effort (for being me), and the result is...well...the same as with my old camera really; not that impressive. So, it all seems to point to that the one holding the camera, is responsible for the quality of the pictures. Who would've thunk? :rollhappy:

Here it is, Crouching Tiger, Drunken Flower:
20380402508_5a135ee742_b.jpg

Weeeeh! Kinda windy outside, eh? (the colour is a bit off in this picture; it's too bright):
20381713389_a307fc7f0d_b.jpg

Look guys! I can fly like this! (colour more accurate in this picture):
19945816494_79b664edc1_b.jpg

The out of focus flower is like an annoying relative that insists on butting in, whenever you try to take a decent picture of another relative that you haven't seen for a while:
20542171436_91def2120c_b.jpg

It's compact, seems easy to flower, and the flowers aren't ugly. What more could you wish for? :)

Thank you. :D

Thanks guys!

love the petals. crouching tiger drunken flower lol!!!
For some reason a lot of silly stuff pops up in my mind whenever I look at the pictures, and Crouching Dragon, Drunken Flower was the first one. I have no idea why...

Gardineri and relatives can make some great hybrids. They tend to be smaller growers, more forgiving of culture/environment, and they seem to be easier to bloom.

Philippinense, while one of my favorite multifloral species, doesn't always make the best hybrids IMHO. I usually like to see a balanced & colorful pouch on my multies, and phil hybrids tend to have great color in the sepals, with deep & dark pendant petals, then a washed out & drab pouch.

But I'll take a manageable-sized regularly blooming paph with a drab pouch over a giant colorful one that only blooms twice a decade any day.

Thanks for sharing.
You've been quiet for some time. been busy growing things, eh?

Not a big fan of multi here either, but this is cute.
I also like the contrast of twisty chocolate petals and butterscotch pouch! :)

Thanks for the nice comments guys. :)

I'd be happy with that one! How big is it?
Not big at all. The leaf span is 37cm (~14½"), the plant (pot and all) is 29cm (11½"), the spike is 27cm (~10¾"), and the whole thing is 45.5cm (18"). The flowers are about 12cm (~4¾") wide including the petals, and 8cm (3¼") from top to bottom.

It also has two new growths, which I'm very happy about. :)

Gardineri and relatives can make some great hybrids. They tend to be smaller growers, more forgiving of culture/environment, and they seem to be easier to bloom.

Philippinense, while one of my favorite multifloral species, doesn't always make the best hybrids IMHO. I usually like to see a balanced & colorful pouch on my multies, and phil hybrids tend to have great color in the sepals, with deep & dark pendant petals, then a washed out & drab pouch.

But I'll take a manageable-sized regularly blooming paph with a drab pouch over a giant colorful one that only blooms twice a decade any day.

That's great news! I know that my Paph. gardineri is resilient (which is good) so I'm glad its hybrids share this trait. My other gardineri hybrid (MK x gardineri), which had an insufficient root system when I got it home, is now working on filling its pot with roots. :)

I agree on the philppinense part. I usually don't like the pouches on its hybrids as they tend to be rather dull, and while that's the case with mine as well, at least the yellow colour is rather nice (it's a quite saturated warm yellow), and those petals make up for a lot. :D

I like it. It's a bit like chocolate and butterscotch.
The colouration does remind of that. I agree (although the chocolate in this case is kind of vinicoloured instead, might be hard to tell from the pictures though). :)

Wow! What a beautiful hybrid! I like the contrast between the pouch and the petals. Good to see you posting on the forum! It has been a while.
:clap::clap::clap:

Like a red velvet chocolate cake! :)
Omnomnom! I think I need to eat something. :rollhappy:

Wow! What a beautiful hybrid! I like the contrast between the pouch and the petals. Good to see you posting on the forum! It has been a while.
:clap::clap::clap:
I like the contrast as well. :D

Thank you and yes, it has.

Latest posts

Back