Paph moquettianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physiognomy

Reaction score
I bought this plant in bloom from Marie Selby Gardens back in March & it is still going strong... I think this might be the last of six or seven flowers on this spike. Not quite fully open yet, but I couldn't help taking a picture while I had my camera out.

6279018094_832f20fe5e_z.jpg

Nice flower but I'm not sure about the purity of this Paph moquettianum. Show us the plant please. To me it looks like an entergrade between glauco and moque.

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Nice flower but I'm not sure about the purity of this Paph moquettianum. Show us the plant please. To me it looks like an entergrade between glauco and moque.

interesting dorsal.

Care to expand on your thoughts, guys? I'm always interested to learn... It was just about dark by the time I got home tonight, but here's a couple of quick shots of the plant.

6281319913_6139d54064_z.jpg

6281319917_222731498c_b.jpg

The dorsal spots on this flower converge into thin stripes somewhat. The most typee of this species will not have converged spots. But I don't think the taxonomic description of moquetianum excludes the degree of striping on the dorsal like yours.

Glaucophyllum has stripes originating from a dark field at the base of the dorsal sepal, but no spots on the dorsal.

I don't see why it can't be a moquet. We (as orchid growers, or the human race, collectively) do not really know about the extent of genetic variability in other species. Just because moquets with solid yellow dorsals and prominent spots are more commonly available, that doesn't exclude this one from being a pure species. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the info and interesting discussion... I must admit that I didn't look closely at this plant until my interest in Paph's was rekindled recently. I'll try to take another picture once I'm sure the flower has completely opened.

Many years ago I got two plants from Terry Root, Orchid zone labelled "Paph victoria reginae" with leaves as yours. At the time it was well know of the latifolium varity of victoria reginae or chamberlainium, which ever you prefer. Totally different leaf structure between the latifolium varity and these plants from OZ! I thought I really had something, that chamber and victoria were really seperate species and not the same. The OZ plants flowered and looked exactly like your flower. Very different then any of the known Cochlopedtalums at the time.
The kicker Norito tells me Terry crossed glauco with moquet and that's what I had.:mad: Why he put victoria reginae on the tags I'll never know. Very miss leading.
PS I have one in very low spike. Hopefully I'll be able to post it by Christmas!

Back