Paph. micranthum in sheath

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sheath is getting a little bigger and taller but no sign of anything inside yet.

You need a lot of patience to watch a micranthum flower spike grow. Just sit and wait !
I think I saw the sheath of my very first P. micranthum, which I may flower, emerge in early August last year. Hopefully the flower will open at the end of this month...but I'm no so sure. Just sit and wait !

Last edited:
You need a lot of patience to watch a micranthum flower spike grow. Just sit and wait !
I think I saw the sheath of my very first P. micranthum which I may flower emerge in earla August last year. Hopefully the flower will open at the end of this month...but I'm no so sure. Just sit and wait !
No problem. It's only one of many, after all. It can't be worse than hookerae.

Thanks! The picture included in my post earlier today was meant to be the update, but the change is easy to miss. Here's a larger view. The maturing bud has split the sheath. This development only took two months since my last post on 1/7. Also the sheath itself has increased quite a bit in size. Thanks for your comment!

Micranthum in sheath2.JPG

That's a happy looking plant! Best of luck with flowering it. I've been growing, hit and miss, P. armeniacum for around 10 years, and finally think I may have found what it likes. It is in a basket and kept outdoors year round, however in winter it is kept out of the rain under a small porch. Voila! Last fall it grew two sheathes that have been waiting for warm weather to develop. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• PALB.JPG
    PALB.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 19
A paph that blooms from sheeths I've had paphs spike from new leafs that looks like a sheeth but that's a proper sheeth.
Patrick

Thanks. I think so too, and it's been a totally "no drama" plant.
I haven’t grown one so I’d love to know how you do it. Definitely been on my list for a very long time. I have a (decades-ago) wild-collected division waiting for me but haven’t been able to coordinate pickup for various reasons.

Well, here it is. To review, purchased "blooming size" December 2018, in sheath December 2021, fully open flower April 27, 2022. The tag reads Paph. micranthum var. North Vietnam. For me, the flower is pleasing and worth waiting for. 3.5" top to bottom, 3.0" side to side. Base of plant to top of flower 9.5". Disappointed that the staminode is off-center. That's probably my fault.
BrucherT, I'm not doing anything special for it. It grows happily in a mixed collection, general paph guidelines. I have increased air movement over the past few months, which I believe has been generally beneficial for all my plants. Balanced with RH of course, and attentiveness to slightly more pronounced watering needs.

Micranthum var. North Vietnam.JPG

Thanks! The picture included in my post earlier today was meant to be the update, but the change is easy to miss. Here's a larger view. The maturing bud has split the sheath. This development only took two months since my last post on 1/7. Also the sheath itself has increased quite a bit in size. Thanks for your comment!

View attachment 32884
Plant is just stunning.

Thanks everyone!! I certainly won't see another one for years. It has a new growth but it just started maybe a couple of months ago. Tiny. Looking forward to repotting it when the flower fades.

Latest posts

Back