Paph. micranthum in sheath

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaccio

Reaction score
My micranthum is in sheath. There is a slight swelling at the base, which doesn't seem to be getting larger. Is there anything special that should be done at this point? I'm assuming it's good to go with normal light, temps and water. Thanks.

Congrats!!
Do not change anything. Just let the plant do its thing. My very limited experience (only bloomed a few micranthum but indoor on windowsill) has been that the sheath appears in late summer into fall, and it doesn’t do anything until late winter when it suddenly develops into a spike and bloom in just a matter of two months or so.
I have one micranthum in sheath with a plump base at the moment.
cheers for us!

That was so helpful, Happypaphy7. Thanks so much. If you hadn't told me, I'm sure I would have assumed something was wrong.
As an aside, I love this little plant. I bought it "blooming size" a couple of years ago. That was incorrect (as I can see now from the size of the leaves that it's producing compared to those when it arrived), but it has been such a tolerant, well-behaved grower, and it's so cute even out of bloom. Of course I wanted it to bloom - a micranthum flower is one of my personal benchmarks and I'm delighted. But I would have kept it "forever", flower or not.
The really neat thing is that I didn't do anything special. No winter cooling, no (intentional) reduction of water. LED lights have been a great equalizer for me, especially re: paphs. Thanks again.

Paph. micranthum will take 6 months or sometimes longer to develop the flower bud... be patient. It is a beautiful plant but the flowers normally don't last very long tho, about 10-14 days. Congrats!

If you like micranthum, try P. armeniacum also, same culture in general...it also takes a long time to develop the bud but the flowers last at least over a month...

Last edited:
John & Karp60

Please be aware that micranthum varies quite widely in the plant size, so it is very hard to tell if the plant is a baby or a mature blooming size.
I've had a plant that was barely 3-4inch wide from one end to the other end of the entire plant while others had a leaf that was over 7inch long!

John & Karp60

Please be aware that micranthum varies quite widely in the plant size, so it is very hard to tell if the plant is a baby or a mature blooming size.
I've had a plant that was barely 3-4inch wide from one end to the other end of the entire plant while others had a leaf that was over 7inch long!
Oh,good to know. I will check it more often, just in case.

Paph. micranthum will take 6 months or sometimes longer to develop the flower bud... be patient. It is a beautiful plant but the flowers normally don't last very long tho, about 10-14 days. Congrats!

If you like micranthum, try P. armeniacum also, same culture in general...it also takes a long time to develop the bud but the flowers last at least over a month...
Thank you. And thanks for the armeniacum referral too. I'll do that.

Can’t tell if that’s 2.5in or 3.75in diameter pot but either way it is slightly a large plant I’d say.
I have one in this same stage for about three months now, and the plant is about half that size with two new growths well on the way.
I feel that little bump at the base finally 😁🍀🍀

Can’t tell if that’s 2.5in or 3.75in diameter pot but either way it is slightly a large plant I’d say.
I have one in this same stage for about three months now, and the plant is about half that size with two new growths well on the way.
I feel that little bump at the base finally 😁🍀🍀
The pot is 2.5”. The tag specifies var. North Vietnamese. From Normans, late 2018. It’s put on some heft. The original leaf span was under 4”. The current leaf span from the last pair of completed leaves is 6.5”. Not repotted yet. I’m excited too. I was contemplating various exotic methods of winter resting/cooling. :rolleyes:

Your plant is very healthy, only one question. Did you cut the older live at the base, maybe in yellow?

Back