Paph micranthum forma ?? ‘Brenda June’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was debating taking this to my next judging session but decided to wait for a better bloom. It has bloomed better in the past and worthy of awarding. This bloom, not so much…maybe a JC but whatever LOL. Darn dorsal sepal!
I asked Dr Braem what forma he would call this and he really didnt have an answer other than “dont call it semi-alba or anything with the word alba!” Ok, got it! Hence the forma ?? in the title. Whatever its called, I think its awesome. Paph micranthum is my favorite species and this one sure stands out amongst the others on the bench.
In-lieu of being exhibited this year, it will be selfed in hopes of making more like itself and maybe throw a real alba or two. Find out in a couple years.

Tyler

Attachments

• CCE82D4F-4391-4111-AB80-3814AD4FDF18.jpeg
    CCE82D4F-4391-4111-AB80-3814AD4FDF18.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 67
Nice micranthum! I like it! This species is highly variable in color. So i would say its "just" a pale form.

I like it, too and beside the small dorsal the rest of the flower is just perfect in shape and stance. 🤞 At least in my eyes. Congrats !

.......This species is highly variable in color. So i would say its "just" a pale form.
I think pale form isn't the right term becaus the red dots a quite intensive. I would call it fma. albescens

I was debating taking this to my next judging session but decided to wait for a better bloom. It has bloomed better in the past and worthy of awarding. This bloom, not so much…maybe a JC but whatever LOL. Darn dorsal sepal!
I asked Dr Braem what forma he would call this and he really didnt have an answer other than “dont call it semi-alba or anything with the word alba!” Ok, got it! Hence the forma ?? in the title. Whatever its called, I think its awesome. Paph micranthum is my favorite species and this one sure stands out amongst the others on the bench.
In-lieu of being exhibited this year, it will be selfed in hopes of making more like itself and maybe throw a real alba or two. Find out in a couple years.

Tyler
Absolutely spectacular. A revelation, with all that yellow. Cannot imagine it being more stunning. Want. WANT.

What a fantastic color form. The yellow dorsal is wondrous.

I do agree that this is more in the realm of albescent. What is the original parentage? Knowing that will determine your success of pure albas in a selfing.

In judging, the form will rule out quality but a JC is most likely as you thought.

Leslie,
The parentage is unknown. The tag from the dealer simply said “paph micranthum eburneum.” I purchased it four or five years ago out of bloom and this is his second flowering for me. I have to assume that the dealer picked out the variety because of its characteristic leaves.

Attachments

• F957211B-0BB3-4EE2-B236-E7220865D743.jpeg
    F957211B-0BB3-4EE2-B236-E7220865D743.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 16
Leslie,
The parentage is unknown. The tag from the dealer simply said “paph micranthum eburneum.” I purchased it four or five years ago out of bloom and this is his second flowering for me. I have to assume that the dealer picked out the variety because of its characteristic leaves.
Eburneum provenance… interesting… definitely self this as it might be a new colour variation of this type.

That was the plan Leslie. Only issue is that I subscribe to the Terry Root philosophy and want to see everything in flower. “IF” true albas are thrown by selfing. They should be easy to spot out of bloom, its the “albescent” and regular eburneum that will be hard to determine out of bloom.
Tyler

Why do you want give a forma or variety-name. It is enough to give the clonal name
‘Brenda June’
There are much mor similar clones, but it is impossible to define this colorform with clear borders to the other. There are beauties but also other not so attractive one. Here three examples. All these have no formal name . The first is Paphiopedilum micranthum 'Wössen' the other also without clonal name.

Paphiopedilum micranthum semialbum 2012 - 04 Wössen Front.jpgmicranthum falscher albino.jpgmicranthum fast albin Kopie.jpg

Why do you want give a forma or variety-name. It is enough to give the clonal name
The reason I would like a forma or varietal name is purely for clarity and the expansion of scientific and taxonomic discovery.
I would suggest that the three examples you provided are similar enough to be considered the same color sport as my plant. Hopefully there will be viable seed from tue selfing and we can see if the color is stable or not and possible publication of the results.
Tyler

Eh, I'm with Olaf; it's just an intrograde between forms and probably won't breed true. It would be judged with others of its general color if brought to judging.

I guess we will see the stability once the F1 blooms.

The variety designation will be hard to come up with since no one really knows the habitat origin. Forma is most likely if it’s a stable mutation. This will be up to the taxonomists and their expert interpretation of the known facts.

I also have two clones of this color type eburneum. My plants are from wild collections. I think this type should be worth a forma name in the future.

Attachments

• IMAG1606.jpg
    IMAG1606.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 23