Paph.micranthum, 30+ growths, 5 spikes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
This Paph.micranthum has in the past been a difficult bloomer; gowing it cooler has improved its performance. 5 spikes (two just now breaking bud out of their growths) on a 30+growth plant, it is kept moist in medium light year-round, and grown cool especially in the fall and winter, in a fine bark mix.

Attachments

• micranthu3flrs5spikes0323.jpeg
    micranthu3flrs5spikes0323.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2
  • micranthumoc0323.jpeg
    micranthumoc0323.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 2
Tennis how many years have had this plant? Also, when you say cold are you talking about temperatures close to freezing, as in 32F?

Tennis how many years have had this plant? Also, when you say cold are you talking about temperatures close to freezing, as in 32F
The answer depends on the defiinion of "this plant". I'm not sure exactly how long I've had it, but best guess is about 15 years, acquired as a multigrowth overgrown seedling in a collection dispersal. It grew into a 32-growth plant in a plastic pan, bloooming once with one flower, and when I went to redo it in 2018, it literally fell apart into individual plants. Out of that, I had a couple 2-growth plants and one 3-growth plant, which I put as still 3 growths, into this basket in 2019 (dates on tag). It has not been redone since. So, it's gone from 3 growths to 30+ in 4 years or so, I guess.

As for temps, I try not to let it get much below 40ºF, but also try to keep it out at those temps as long as possible, the goal being 6 weeks, though rarely achieved. I did bring it in for 2 nights during a brief dip to 32, and then back out for several more weeks of 40-50 nights.

Ok Tennis, let me see if I have this right. Four years ago you put a 3 growth micranthum in this basket. You made this basket correct? What are the dimensions? You had no concerns of over potting? I assume you are growing this and the armeniacum outside most of the year or not true? So to keep the right moisture level in the basket did have to water every day back 4 years ago? As for the moss, I realize you lined the outside walls of the basket to keep the mix in but is there also moss mixed in
with the fine seedling bark as well? One last question, is there any difference between the potting style of the micranthum and the armeniacum?

The reason for all my questions is for a single growth plant of both I have. Of course I'm tied of killing these two species. So far it appears I'm on the right track for the micranthum. Judgement is still out on the armeniacum. They're both in plastic net pots with a larger bark but the moss is enter
mixed, maybe a 80/20 ratio. To keep the moisture content high enough both net pots are set in solid plastic pots (see pic). New roots are emerging from the micranthum (2nd pic) my concern, should I leave it alone or move it to a larger basket? Currently in a 3" net.16793932993157992765584362394461.jpg
16793933933251321013421326908226.jpg

SlipperKing-
You have to put into account that you live in a very hot and humid climate, which is already too touch for plants coming from high elevation. Also, plants habit can vary greatly even with the proper conditions.
I do not mean any disrespect or discount of the original posters' ability to grow great plants, but some plants just are better growers than others.
For example, Hillsview Gardens has this very nicely shaped dark (not super dark) pink micranthum named "Pink Pixie". Theresa says it is from an import long ago and has always been a slow grower and reluctant bloomer. and she lives in North Pacific where the climate should be pretty dang good for parvis. Late winter into early spring, her greenhouse is full of bulldogs and parvis in bloom.
When there was a divisino of Pink Pixie, I had a little chat with her and she was being very open and honest about the plant. She advised against the idea that I get the division and grow at warm indoor. I instead got a micranthum bred from Pink Pixie and another micranthum, Pink Belle. It has been slower than some other micranthum I have tried, but it does have three cute little growths that look to be ready to spike any time now.

Rick, your growing way seems to be good but i have a question: what will you do when roots will reach the wall of the outer pot? How can you check it then without the risk of root- demage?

Ok Tennis, let me see if I have this right. Four years ago you put a 3 growth micranthum in this basket. You made this basket correct? What are the dimensions? You had no concerns of over potting? I assume you are growing this and the armeniacum outside most of the year or not true? So to keep the right moisture level in the basket did have to water every day back 4 years ago? As for the moss, I realize you lined the outside walls of the basket to keep the mix in but is there also moss mixed in
with the fine seedling bark as well? One last question, is there any difference between the potting style of the micranthum and the armeniacum?

The reason for all my questions is for a single growth plant of both I have. Of course I'm tied of killing these two species. So far it appears I'm on the right track for the micranthum. Judgement is still out on the armeniacum. They're both in plastic net pots with a larger bark but the moss is enter
mixed, maybe a 80/20 ratio. To keep the moisture content high enough both net pots are set in solid plastic pots (see pic). New roots are emerging from the micranthum (2nd pic) my concern, should I leave it alone or move it to a larger basket? Currently in a 3" net.View attachment 39142
View attachment 39143
I did make the basket, it's about 10" across. Same mix for both plants, just fine bark, sponge rock and (maybe, don't remember now) some charcoal. At that point I was not mixing any sphagnum in. I wasn't worried about overpotting, but more worried about how I'd move it from a smaller basket once growths were all around it (a problem I now have with my 12-15 growth "smaller" armeniacums in 6" baskets). They will go out in late spring once frost danger is over, and stay until late fall, and yes, I do have to water them quite often in the summer, but then I spray the vandas, also outside then, and other mounted plants like L.anceps, daily so no biggie to just turn the nozzle and water. This past year for the first time I put the micranthum in the cool case when it came in from outside; it had had several buds the previous year but only one grew and flowered and I was determined to have more of the five buds I saw grow up and flower this year. By midwinter, it was cool enough in the corner of the GH to take it out there, where it is today, in front of the fan and, when on, the cooler. When the micranthum first went into the basket, it stayed wet between the normal weekly waterings, though with more growths, it uses more water now.

Thanks Tennis for your informative reply. I will put it to good use.
Last summer with my old plastic still on the greenhouse I was successful at maintaining a temperature of 82F max at less 8ft away from the wet wall even with temps pushing the 100 degree mark. Now with the new plastic I will be watching closely. As for moving this plant on to a larger net I will simply trim the old pot away when its time. I would like to get multiple growths before I move it up.

Latest posts

Back