Paph. Michael Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This kind of short distance flowering happens often with sanderianum F1s. Its a genetic thing. If it corrects the 2nd bloom, then not all is lost.

The flowers have good stance and petals look long. What is petal length?

This kind of short distance flowering happens often with sanderianum F1s. Its a genetic thing. If it corrects the 2nd bloom, then not all is lost.

The flowers have good stance and petals look long. What is petal length?
Thank you for the information. The longest petal length is 32cm. The average length is 29cm.

Please take a photo in natural light - it should show off the colours better.
5 flowers first up is good.
I have an MK that did the same low spike...I actually thought it was two separate spikes. 5 flowers on a first bloom is excellent. Maybe next bloom will be 6!
I’ll keep my fingers crossed that next years growth blooms! Thanks to Sam Tsui from Orchid Inn for this plant!!!!

OMG that is a beauty! My MK is just starting to bloom and I'm amazed at how quickly the petals elongate. Yesterday mine measured 20 cms and today 24 cms. The first flower is not completely open yet so I expect the petals to get a bit longer. What size pot is yours growing in?

OMG that is a beauty! My MK is just starting to bloom and I'm amazed at how quickly the petals elongate. Yesterday mine measured 20 cms and today 24 cms. The first flower is not completely open yet so I expect the petals to get a bit longer. What size pot is yours growing in?
The pot is 3x3 inches x 4 in high. 2 growths (mature blooming and ~1/2 mature 2nd growth).

Someone on STC some time back suggested a daily, light spraying of water on the petals for their elongation, when developing (petals of sanderianum, philippinense, and the like)....

I can't really say, whether this had any consequences lengthwise, but, for someone growing on a windowsill and at room temperature, it certainly helped the petals not drying out. This became very clear to me once, when I for some reason or other were away and couldn't tend to the petals this way - and came back and found them dry and slightly withering, much too early!

Any one having any input regarding this?

Yes this is also in my experience when I flowered sanderianums, philippinense and caudatums.

The long petals need a minimum of 60% to prevent dehydration (think buoyant humid air in the jungles). Ideal is 80% as their natural environment is as such.

I try to overcome this by watering the plant often when in bloom, spraying the petals with light mist twice a day and putting in growing section with the highest humidity (my indoors is normally 50% but drops to 30% most of the day). I even sit them in water for 2 weeks when in bloom, changing fresh water daily in the saucers. All the above helps somewhat but I feel they still dry out at 60-75% of their potential lengths.

Best petal length formation is always in a greenhouse.

That MK has really great form. A beauty!

I also water heavily while petals are still elongaging. Next time I will try misting too.

I was given that tip last year too when my sanderianum petals withered sooner rather than later. I also grow in the home. I've begun misting my MK petals as the flowers are opening and the plant itself, in a 5" pot, is being watered well twice a week.

Back