Paph. Michael Koopowitz x gigantifolium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polyantha

Reaction score
First time bloomer. Sorry for the bad lighting, had no time to get a better shot.
It has a very nice yellow colour that is even more intense in reality. It is quite a big plant already: +- 90cm/ 36in LS.
This one is for sale (I'm a species guy ;) ), PM if interested.

michael_koopowitz_x_gigantifolium_small_zpsjmxp4aai.jpg~original

michael_koopowitz_x_gigantifolium_small2_zpsntjqndbq.jpg~original

michael_koopowitz_x_gigantifolium_small3_zpswhpwpxfe.jpg~original

Gigantifolium attributes, red pouch and twisty yellow petals, mixed with michael koopowitz, (phillipinense x sandy) = maybe lol... it really shows more of supardii attributes, golden yellow narrow pointed chin pouch and petals more resemble supardii, just a little longer....? Just my own thought

I love the colour of these flowers and the extreme elongated shape is very exotic. Overall, it's a very nice mulit that I'd like to have myself. I wonder however, that it might be MK x PEoY and not MK x gigantifolium. Other than the lack of the extremely long petals, there is a lot of sanderianum showing in these flowers. I wouldn't be surprised if sandi was on both sides of the family tree.

It's a lovely flower and beautifully coloured. I tend to agree with John M on the breeding....not sure it has much gig in it other than the slightly wavy petals. Either way it's a very pleasing flower.

It's lovely. But the first thing that went through my mind when I first saw it was, "Where's the gigantifolium influence?"

Well, you all confirmed my doubts. It's not the first time something of Asendorf didn't bloom correctly. And it annoys me. If someone is interested please contact me. Because otherwise I might throw it in the trash :evil: My TRUE gigs need all the space they can get.

It's a beautiful bloom. Well proportioned and great form on the flowers. Personally think it looks better than Chia Hua Dancer and a lot of sandy hybrids. If you were in the US I would take it instantly. Too bad you are only a species person

Too cold to ship in Europe at this time of year and also to rely on delivery sevices otherwise I would have it ---- at the right price!!!!!

Ed

I agree with Fabrice and Stephen. The petals have that classic 'shaking knees' petals stance from gigantifolium. Many gigantifolium hybrids have dark dorsals like that. The plant is a monster also pointing to gigantifolium. I can't see a reason to doubt the label.

This is a stunning outcome. Better then could have been expected. I would buy it in a heartbeat if i could. Given you only grow species, one wonders why you bought it. Were you hoping for better?

Given you only grow species, one wonders why you bought it. Were you hoping for better?

I didn't buy it. Got it alongside with sandies, roths, kolos, gigs, philis about 10 years ago. I paid only for the species. Some of the species were not right either...

That dorsal screams supardii. Waviness more likely a result of diluting the sandy petals. Very common in complex sandy hybrids. Also, large skinny thin leaved plant (supardii effect, whereas gigantifolium tends to be wide leaved) and diluted pouch effect (supardii, gig tends to give a lot of saturated warm coloring). If I had this plant I would change it to MK x supardii. But it's not a scientific analysis..and I WANT IT!!! arrghh

That dorsal screams supardii. Waviness more likely a result of diluting the sandy petals. Very common in complex sandy hybrids. Also, large skinny thin leaved plant (supardii effect, whereas gigantifolium tends to be wide leaved) and diluted pouch effect (supardii, gig tends to give a lot of saturated warm coloring). If I had this plant I would change it to MK x supardii. But it's not a scientific analysis..and I WANT IT!!! arrghh

Everything correct except the skinny leaves. They are actually quite wide. Wider than roth and less wide than gig. I'd love to give it to you if there was a way :)

Back